• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The problem is not the assault rule
11-07-2008, 10:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-07-2008, 10:42 PM by John Given.)
RE: The problem is not the assault rule
I personally prefer the idea the following units ONLY being able to call in artillery;

a. Commanders (the fact that higher-rated commanders require larger sp's of vehicles to carry them seems to indicate they have "staff" accompanying them; the staff / aides would almost certainly have radios)

b. HQ's (but who would risk it?)

c. Company commander platoons ("Radio" icon) for all nations, armored or infantry

d. ALL German, British, and U.S. combat vehicles - perhaps Soviet units from 1943 onwards

e. Spotter aircraft

f. Ships (but not boats or rafts)

It should be noted that I love the idea of having forward observer units being used, but not to giving them any special abilities. A German FO halftrack, for example, would be much like a PSW 221 armored car, with similar armor and weaponry - nothing wrong with a little extra variety. If others feel this clutters things a bit, keep in mind that I sometimes play against the computer with a corps-sized force. What's a few extra units when you already control over 800? But I admot that in this capacity, these FO units. as I envision them, would not change the game tactically in all likelihood. It's all about variety.

And for the record, I do consider myself a "realism" style of player - I don't like things that are "gamey."
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The problem is not the assault rule - by Copper - 11-06-2008, 05:14 AM
RE: The problem is not the assault rule - by Ivan - 11-06-2008, 07:11 PM
RE: The problem is not the assault rule - by John Given - 11-07-2008, 10:41 PM