• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

NATO, WAPA and the indefensibility of LandJut in NGP and D85
11-05-2008, 04:18 AM,
RE: NATO, WAPA and the indefensibility of LandJut in NGP and D85
Hans Boersma Wrote:@Narwan:
Thanks! In DF85 the Dutch do have their AT coys at Brigade level (Paatcie), split in two sub-units of 12 TOW each. There were also AT platoons in every mechinf battalion (Paostcie); their fire values have been incorporated into the values of the parent battalion. The reason for this was that the designers, understandably in a game of this scale, wanted to limit the number of counters on the board. Also the game format is not suitable to represent units consisting of, say, six vehicles (with would be the AT platoon of a YP-408 battalion). (For that matter, the West-German AT-platoons shouldn't be there either IMHO.)
I'm working on an add-on for DF85 but progress is slow as now and then I tend to leave it alone for months. OOB is in a constant state of "near-completion"...

Thanks very much for the information!

Okay, sounds good. A separate addition to NGP would be nice but I fully understand the idea of incorporating the chances into the DF game and ptached them through that way. It does mean you need two separate games to be up to date... I'll have to think about that.

I've been involved as an playtester for the WinSP games and assistent designer for some of the campaigns there. Digging through OB's to get them as realistic as possible is a big issue there. Of course the level of play (individual vehicles and squads/heavy-weapons teams) makes it easier to tweak these and go into detail. It sort of carries through in me with other games too.

I've looked at the dutch and westgermans in detail in the 80'and the more I go into it the more I understand just how well thought out their respective concepts for their armed forces was. The dutch force in the 80's for example were tailor made to face and hold off large numbers of attacking WP formations in defensive operations and limited counterattacks.
The advantage of the SP game is that you can go into detail to check if it would work. I once played a massive game where I bought an entire mech brigade in a meeting engagement against Polish attackers. It worked pretty good, even Leo-1s against T72's.

Narwan
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NATO, WAPA and the indefensibility of LandJut in NGP and D85 - by Narwan - 11-05-2008, 04:18 AM