• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

So Then What Does One Do When........
11-04-2008, 07:41 AM,
RE: So Then What Does One Do When........
Ivan Wrote:
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:What does one do?

[Etc. snipped]

What I would like to know is: Is there a comprensive plan to make all the scenarios 1.04 compatable?

Thsi massive undertaking needs to be done (at least on the stock scenarios) to make them balanced, winable from both sides and fun.

This should really be considered by the fine folks that do such things.

Thanx!

Hawk

2 points

1. When in the history of this game did we have a set of perfectly balanced scenarios?

2. Wargaming has traditionally been about simulation as well. Warfare and battles are rarely evenly balanced. Why this obsession with winning at the cost of making it a decent simulation?

If we are not interested in a sense of realism why bother playing the game, there are literally thousands of arcade games around with nice graphics and sound affects.

Adam,

If you ever read the old Talonsoft forums, or the ones here (especially those related to the H2H area) PBEM became more and more seen as the strength in keeping this game alive.
I'm not sure of how many players think an unbalanced scenario played by e-mail is fun.
Talonsoft, and to some degree most scenario designers, try to taylor their scenarios to be balanced. How they achieve that balance can be debated. But, most would agree that balance was a factor.

If you design a scenario against the AI, it will have to be made with a degree of finesse to provide both a challenge and keep it fun enough to play again? I've found some scenarios that were designed to play against the AI are well balanced H2H. But, I think they are the exception to the rule that was used to create them.

If I want simulation to trump a balanced game, I could simply read a history book? Why play a game? Once you start the first turn as a human, unless you have a history book in your lap, the simulation no longer simulates?

And, yes, to the comments of others. I believe that all scenarios will be effected by version 1.04. Many already have.
I do not think it is getting used to the new assault rules either. Delays in attacks change the speed of the game. In the end the result will be different from a fast paced to a slower paced game. It's all scale, mathematics, and the new luck.

For those that design simulations, please keep doing so. Most I have looked at seem like a lot of work was put into them.
I play by e-mail. I play for fun. I probably will not find much use for the simulation scenario but, I am sure that others might. It's worth it!

RR
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: So Then What Does One Do When........ - by Herr Straße Laufer - 11-04-2008, 07:41 AM