• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Adjusted S42 Alt Campaign - v1 - von Nev
10-29-2008, 07:16 AM,
RE: Adjusted S42 Alt Campaign - v1 - von Nev
I agree with many of your comments and think the majority of your changes make sense. Only playing will show how balanced things have been made.

A few points:

Firstly your changes to the supply system seem sensible and your reduction of the Russian replacement values are a good idea. I am not so sure about increasing axis relacements to 3%. I suppose this is a playability issue.

Russian artillery is a problem. It was break through level as the start of the campaign but after that it wasn't so powerful, until it was concentrated and stockpiled again. PzC always often has problems representing reasonable artillery usage in campaigns. Maybe your lower supply rate will help limit some of the excesses of Russian artillery.

Quote:Villages in the game were not the highly effective historical pillboxes and bunkers. Reading any history suggested that both sides turned villages into bristling bunkers and pillboxes overnight and were extremely difficult to take even with significant artillery.

I am not sure how true this is. I suspect it took a while to fortify a village with bunkers. However, you could alter the general defensive values of the villages and town to be the same as a city to simulate a more defensible position

Also I think you have possibly over powered the Luftwaffe. During the battle they did not have great availability and while the Stukas tank killing ability is poor in the stock campaign putting it up to 50 seems very high.

Quote:By turn 106 Russian infantry losses are 56,000 while the Germans are 96,000. Historically Russian losses were tremendous!

Most of the German losses are surely Rumanians. I would expect the loss rate to favour the Germans in the end. I know the Russian losses were extremely high in reality but also PzC generally doesn't try to mimic exact loss figures. If you over power the axis defense too much the Russians may take too many losses, realistic compared to reality but not in terms of playability.

Also, IIRC in the designers notes it says the length of the campaign is reduced compared to reality for reasons of playability.

Don't forget, once the Bavarian Corporal had prevented the 6th Army from retreating their fate was very much settled. The Russians were much stronger than the 6th Army, plus relief efforts. In a balanced game the Germans should be able to achieve a draw, even if most of them are killed.

I do enjoy playing Stalingrad and your mod looks good. When I eventually get a free campaign slot I might give it a try. Thanks for the effort.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adjusted S42 Alt Campaign - v1 - von Nev - by FLG - 10-29-2008, 07:16 AM