• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Shall I upgrade?
08-26-2008, 03:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2008, 05:43 AM by Kool Kat.)
RE: Shall I upgrade?
PoorOldSpike Wrote:Me too mate, but in real life units attack and move in waves and columns whereas in CS they do it individually which jars a bit.
I abandoned Steel Panthers for the same reason.

If I understand your point - you are looking for a game mechanic that allows individual units to attack together (simultaneously) against enemy units - correct? Almost like an area movement / combat system? Currently, CS replicates that only in assault combat that works as a simultaneous movement / combat system against defenders. I believe that it would require a herculean effort to recode CS... and I believe in the process it would alter / destroy the CS game mechanics and current "feel" of the system. What would come out of any such effort would be something completely different from the CS turn-based game we know today.

PoorOldSpike Wrote:As for graphics, if we're going to spend hours staring at a screen they should at least be easy on the eye. Pity there's not one more zoom-in level with CS so we can really get down there among the weeds with the troops.

I work in the IT technology field and I understand that any "new," "improved," "better" widget you want to introduce into a product comes with a price tag. So, for "one more zoom-in level" what are you willing to pay for as a customer? Suppose that zoom-in capability adds an additional $10 or $20 dollars to the final product? Is it worth it? How important is that extra zoom-in ability to the functioning of the game? Is it just "eye-candy" or does it serve some other vital function? What graphics resolution(s) do you want to support? Do you want true 3D graphics quality that requires both a dedicated high-end graphics card and a duel-core gaming PC platform? What about folks that own older PCs - force your entire user base to upgrade in order to enjoy a new CS release? What is the opportunity for introducing new players to a 3D CS release? And so that thought process continues... :chin:

Please know that I am not trying to be difficult with you. Just presenting a view from the manufacturer's side of product development. Also, just to set the record straight, I do not work for Matrix Games, but I do support both development and marketing IT technology teams in another industry.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Shall I upgrade? - by PoorOldSpike - 08-23-2008, 02:43 AM
RE: Shall I upgrade? - by Jason Petho - 08-23-2008, 02:45 AM
RE: Shall I upgrade? - by Reddog - 08-23-2008, 12:46 PM
RE: Shall I upgrade? - by Krec - 08-23-2008, 04:33 PM
RE: Shall I upgrade? - by LEGXXIIPRPF - 08-23-2008, 11:14 PM
RE: Shall I upgrade? - by PoorOldSpike - 08-25-2008, 06:14 AM
RE: Shall I upgrade? - by Jason Petho - 08-25-2008, 06:25 AM
RE: Shall I upgrade? - by R-TEAM - 08-25-2008, 08:37 AM
RE: Shall I upgrade? - by PoorOldSpike - 08-25-2008, 10:08 AM