• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

But - how significant are the new changes
07-15-2008, 02:47 PM,
RE: But - how significant are the new changes
K K Rossokolski Wrote:We have no real visual representation of the logistics required for anything else, so your supply argument is hardly valid.

There are supply dumps, supply camps, supply trains and supply trucks being visually represented as well within the series. Again, these are intended for the von Earlmann campaign type system.

K K Rossokolski Wrote:For example, how does one simulate the main, secondary, AA and torpedo armament of a heavy cruiser? What about damage control...the crew of a damaged warship don't just brew up and have a smoke, you know.

I appreciate and respect your intimate knowledge and experience with naval affairs.

Right now, the units are designed within the limitations of the game engine. As you've noted above, the game is a land warfare based game.

Naval support is an element of that, as you know.

When I am designing a scenario that has a cruiser sitting in a harbour providing additional fire support for the ground battle I am trying to represent (Leningrad, Sevastopol), I would like the option of being able to display that instead of having the generic "naval" guns that Talonsoft provided prior to the 1.03 UPDATE. Same holds true for the majority of Rising Sun scenarios I would like to design for future updates.

Does these mean that the scenarios will turn into a huge naval battle? No, because that isn't the point of including the ships. If someone wants to do so, that's up to them, they are free to design any type of scenario they wish. And you have the freedom to play it or not if you wish.

Would such a scenario be included in future updates? No.

Is it perfect? No, of course not. Is it a start and a work in progress? Yes. Will there be code to reflect the complexities of a ship environment? Who knows, but as you say, is it even necessary if the ships are just sitting in the blue water providing fire support; in essence the floating artillery can now be on the map if the designer wishes them to be.

At the moment, I do not believe there are any game scenarios or campaigns where any of these features come into play, with the exception of the bootcamp scenario.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: But - how significant are the new changes - by Jason Petho - 07-15-2008, 02:47 PM