• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Something about 1.03 I'm worried about
07-01-2008, 03:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2008, 10:33 AM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
RE: Something about 1.03 I'm worried about
Mr. RoadRunner Wrote:Adam,
Believe me when I say this; I am not for pure historical accuracy. I am interested in a game that once set the standard for games in it's genre, not to be morphed into a game I cannot recognize.

Both Wyatt and Huib (and to some little extent, myself) have presented our reasoning. Realism and game-ability are factors where either should not be dismissed, or given more weight.
I am a more a "scale" and playablitly guy than a realism and historical accuracy guy, like Herr Huib. But, we do agree on one thing. Variable visibility is neither within the scale or very realistic.

Also, and I am not trying to beat a dead horse, making scenarios "long" was never the intent of the original designers or developers of the game. It was originally a "tactical" scaled game. Grand Tactics or "micro" Strategy was the furthest thing from their mind. Don realized that fact when he designed some of his Bulge scenarios. One battle has you fight over three individual scenarios that better represent the "historical" action. Had he tried to make a single, extended "long playing with many turns", scenario we may not have the historically accurate depiction of an event over many hours with variable troops and variable visibility?

And in this scale supply is an abstract factor, as well as ships, and planes.
I've seen some of what "others" wish to have in the way of supply, with dumps and air drops from C-47's. Yikes! But that is way out of the original intent or scale of the game. It just does not make sense to add it because you can?

To me it falls, always, back to game scale.

Regards and cheers

Wise words, I think most of us are in broad agreement, it's ok if it's in game scale and not silly. I've been playing with the new patch and to be honest haven't even noticed the new feature so it can't be that detrimental. I think it's a fair point also that these things should be tried out before they are knocked down completely.

I also think there are some suggestions that border on silly. I am not keen on the new naval aspects as some others. But I'm sure they will be sorted out in future patches.

Cheers to you too cheers
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Something about 1.03 I'm worried about - by Ivan - 07-01-2008, 03:15 AM