• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Something about 1.03 I'm worried about
06-30-2008, 09:29 AM,
RE: Something about 1.03 I'm worried about
Huib Wrote:IMO there are 2 ways to get it right. Both of them should be implemented.
1. to make it an optional rule
2. To make the visibilty per turn, a parameter in the scenario editor, so the designer can set the visibility per turn (a thing that is now already possible by manually editing the bte file).

If the above are not possible to program, accept the limitations of the software and keep things as they were.

It is critical that the environment in which the scenarios take place is based on historical facts. The weather (thus visibilty) at certain dates and places were FACTS that one can look up and integrate in the scenario. Like the look of the landscape was a FACT; ie the reason that the designer needs the correct era maps to make the scenario map. The only unhistorical thing is the player himself when he starts to move his units... but thats the game ofcourse. So to answer Dogovich question if a scn is unhistorical when visibilty changes randomly is YES. Once it changes outside the historical weather reports, it is unhistorical. I do not claim to have read or used weather reports for all my scenarios, but for those with 1 hex visibility it is documented well, exceeding this 1 hex is unhistorical.

Huib

I could not agree more with Huib.

I, for one, DO take historic visibility into account when designing a scenario, and it is a significant factor in a number of them. As was mentioned in another post, "A Legend is Born" is perhaps the very best example. To have visibility suddenly change in that scene will completely destroy the simulation....completely.

To be certain, on the battlefield, visibility could vary based upon a number of factors, and depending upon the terrain, might even vary in different places across a map. But the game engine is not set up to model any of this in an acceptable fashion, and having a random set up like this, with no real ability to control the outcome, really disrupts the integrity of the simulation.

I think Huib (and others who have agreed with him) have hit on the correct recommendations.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Something about 1.03 I'm worried about - by DonMFox - 06-30-2008, 09:29 AM