• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Something about 1.03 I'm worried about
06-30-2008, 08:57 AM,
RE: Something about 1.03 I'm worried about
I tend to agree with the developer. While wargames are to an extent reenactments (modelling a real event often) they are also games. There has always been elements of chance (hence the use of dice) and elements of what if. Models also, by their nature, have have an element of abstraction. Abstraction is fundamental and unavoidable unless we all fly over to Russia and fight it out for real. Although I haven't been in a battle I imagine things can get pretty messy, smoke, dust, burning oil, fires etc. Visibility would therefore be variable to an extent. Putting variable visibility into the game seems to me an effective way to model this even if it's an abstraction (as it must be). And as someone else pointed out visibility can also change naturally.

I see an analogy in military modelling forums where there are continual arguments about the correct shade of field grey uniforms or tanks colours. People become obsessed about this. Yet, it's a fact that uniform colour was variable for all sorts of reasons, but people still insist on having exact paint codes etc.

Yes, the quest for historical accuracy is important but if you take away elements of chance all you will be left with is a simple reenactment where the outcome will be preordained. Then it won't be a game anymore.

For what it's worth I like most to the new changes and think the team has done a great job. Love some of the new units and hidden shooters.

Just my pennies worth.

Adam
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Something about 1.03 I'm worried about - by Ivan - 06-30-2008, 08:57 AM