• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Something about 1.03 I'm worried about
06-29-2008, 07:17 AM,
RE: Something about 1.03 I'm worried about
simovitch Wrote:In a way this feature represents the variability of things like "that tree was in the way a minute (or 6 minutes) ago, but I scooted a few inches and now the whole ridge is visible across the valley".

IMO all "realism" bets are off anyway with the ubiquitous "borg-spotting" that is endemic to tactical level wargames. Even considering the 6 min. turns, this feature should be considered an abstraction of real life visibility and the uncertainty of accurate battlefield assessment.

Any feature that adds an element of fear and uncertainty (like the new AT gun spotting rules) is OK in my book, and I wouldn't mind if it stayed as a hard wired feature.

I understand those that want to retain the nostalgia of the before times, and those that feel it may ruin their favorite scenarios. I guess it's lucky for them that my opinion is part of the vast minority.

I appreciate your opinion.
I am not arguing for nostalgia as much as I am arguing for game scale. If any unit has the ability to peek out from behind a tree that is part of the game, in the scale of the game? Measures can be taken against it. If you cahnge the game scale and the game into what it is not, I'm going to have to consider my desire to stick with it at all. I've played the game for almost eight years, I've been a member of the Blitz reporting games for almost six years, and I've been a Ladder Commander for almost four years. My play and time spent is from the game I love. If it is no longer the game I love I will have to reevalute my time and efforts.
Sorry that so many of you fall for the shoot and scooters. I play them once and usually do not play them again.
But, to tell me that a totally outrageous thing like brighteness and darkness pulsing every six minutes to reveal or hide units over a 250 meter hex, is really beyond being nostalgic, don't you think? :chin:

Gosh, I can't wait for the Panthers with the infrared sights that are not effected by visibility at all and the scenario designers who will put hundreds of them into a scenario and call it realistic or really, really kewl. :rolleyes:

I'm not asking for reality or fantasy. Maybe I like to think what I have in mind is realistic and want the fantasy to be optional. :smoke:

cheers
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Something about 1.03 I'm worried about - by Herr Straße Laufer - 06-29-2008, 07:17 AM