Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1
06-26-2008, 05:08 PM,
RE: Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1
Russian turn 14.
12:00 PM July 10, 1941
Normal
Visibility 3km.

[Image: RT14VP.jpg]
Victory points after the Russian turn fourteen.

[Image: DotDsouthRT14.jpg]

Things went well this turn by S41 standards. The Russians lost 175 troops. The Germans lost 195 troops and three vehicles. Since the German units are worth more VP, the VP total actually decreased for the first time. The Germans did manage to capture one hex by assault. This gain was negated by my troops from the 110th RD that are being fed into the line.
There is a big German “?” along the river south of Mogilev. It appears von Nev has decided to out flank me after all by attempting to cross there with the SS rgt. I moved my right flank as planned to swing back and prevent the Axis from engaging them. I will need two turns of hustle to get into position. Since the SS appeared by hitting a minefield, I can assume the bridge engineers may not be in place. It will take them two turns minimum to bridge and if I am lucky it will take three. A/C and PzIV units have deployed on the German right flank to try and keep up with my retreating troops. This will make the retreat tough. I have sent my last mobile unit, the 148th recon Bn, toward the southern board edge to block any quick Axis move once my infantry leave the main road and head east. It will be a race.
Russian stack B along the river is vulnerable. If the last infantry unit is disrupted, this stack can be assaulted and will lose half its strength. The stacks behind it, D&E are too large. If stack B is forced to retreat from a lost assault result, over stacking will cause half of the stack to surrender. This is always a problem for the Russians in S41. Smart German play will try to cause such situations as the slow moving Russian units will have few options. It is very hard for the Russian units to disengage in S41 once disrupted unless they rally. I got bad results on the Russian retreat from the German assault this turn which has bunched up my forces near the river.
Russian stack C is also vulnerable, but less so. Only one German unit can reach it to assault. Any other German out of sight will have too far to move and all the 10th Pz large tank formations are south of the stream which will bleed off enough MP so they can not assault Russian stack C. I will be in for a rough time the next two turns here as I try to pull back my artillery. I hope I can put some good direct fire attacks in addition to all my artillery fire the next two turns on any German stacks coming after Russian stack C and the village behind it.
Other Russian troops are digging in to form another line to the rear.
Two Russian units are given secret orders from the commissar to plan a nasty surprise for the Germans. It is a long shot. Russian players in S41 must take risks to win.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1 - by Dog Soldier - 06-26-2008, 05:08 PM