• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1
05-24-2008, 12:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-24-2008, 12:28 PM by von Nev.)
RE: Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1
German turn 6.

The 10th PzD has finally cleared a hex through the minefields. Additionally, down south the 10th Motorized Division has finally built a bridge over the Dnepr. Since both divisions will have plenty of movement this turn I first look over the map and really study where I am going to attack. As I mentioned in turn 5, since both divisions are very close to the river and the minefields I will have a lot of options and I want to maximize my turn.

After running a couple of recon flights over the bridge crossing areas and the heavy arty position, I started with the 10th Motorized division. I immediately took an infantry company and assaulted over the bridge successfully taking the bridge area. The Russian retreated southeast. This was not what I wanted. I needed them to retreat northeast so I could continue my assaults without going on foot. Since I desperately need to expand the bridgehead I will take some risks and therefore a motorized infantry units changes into travel mode, crosses the bridge, goes into "on foot" mode and then assaults in travel mode southeast. This assault is successful. It is about now that I notice a very important assault is coming up. The Russians vacated the entrenched position on Dnepr. This is a key position as an enemy in this hex would have stopped my attack only three hexes into the bridgehead. With this hex open, the only thing that is preventing me from getting a large part of the division very close to Mogilev this turn is a Russian engineer unit that is defending from the marsh. I pound that engineer with every arty unit I have to disrupt them and then rush a motorcycle infantry company in travel mode up the road next to the Russian. If the assault is successful I REALLY would like the Russian to retreat to the southeast. If he does that the road to Mogilev is wide open. I call for the assault and then with my mouse ready to "click" the assault button I give the motorcyclists some choice words of encouragement and then assault. The assault succeeded and the Russian retreated southeast! Unfortunately the motorcycle unit has no more movement points to get out of travel mode and will probably get pounded this turn by arty, but he did his job. Iron Crosses for everyone! A vast majority of the 10th Motorized Division then rushs towards Mogilev. They are stopped just three hexes south, south-west of a bridge and I make sure everyone is out of travel mode.

Up north the 10th PzD uses the panzer assaults to expand the bridgehead. Since the city has a lot of dugin Russians I am going to try to focus the main effort to the open areas east of the city. The Russian motorized infantry that was in the clear is pounded by arty and then assaulted several times. The German motorized infantry rapidly move through the minefield breach. With the 10th Motorized closing in on the left Mogilev bridge the 10th PzD will focus on the right. It I can get to these two bridges the next turn I have bagged a lot of the 172nd Rifle Division. This includes most of their arty as of the end of this turn strong units are adjacent to their artillery batteries. I really would like to eliminate these arty batteries as they are a wealth of VP's and the less Russian arty the better!

Overall this was a good turn (I think). I have set myself up to capture some VP hexes and to destroy some Russian units. From a VP perspective I really need to start getting some points. I am still far, far, FAR away from even a minor defeat.

On the map I put red circles where assaults took place.

[Image: S41TourneyTurn6b.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1 - by von Nev - 05-24-2008, 12:26 PM