• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

DAR - Sweeny Mark, the Demon Commander of Meet Street seeks revenge
05-13-2008, 07:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2008, 07:56 AM by Colonel Talvela.)
RE: DAR - Sweeny Mark, the Demon Commander of Meet Street seeks revenge
I just now noticed this post, and I think it is a good one.

If I can be so bold, I want to offer what I think you should have done after turn 18. However before I do that, I want to explain some of my thinking:

1) I think it is fair to say you definitely had better approaches for inf to both flags. Without a doubt, the approach to your left flag was better, but even for the right flag you had some good rocky ground to move through and some woods.
2) I had better flag rushing approach, especially to your left flag, but I just didnt think I could hold a position againt you because there was almost no cover. Esp on the left, but even on the right as demonstrated by how you pounded me with the 150
3)I spent a fair amount of time looking at the map for a way to neutralize your approach. I initially was going to rush to the scattered trees on your big hill (where your left-most platoon was), but decided that wouldnt give me any freedom of movement with my tanks.
4) Ultimately, I decided on the far left patch of trees because I knew you would have to worry about me coming straight down your flank (like I did with my inf) and also worry about me circling behind me. Plus it gave me a pretty good LOS to your approach, but not enough to keep your advancing (that small hill really was great protection for you).

So at turn 18, I thought it was about even overall. I still had better position across the whole of the map, but I was spread out and you definitely had a local advantage on the left.

The mistake I think you made, is that you didnt push hard enough with your inf. At 18, you had my lone chaffee hiding, and all I had in that area was two 6-man vet squads with a HQ and a HMG. You did press with inf a decent amount - you advanced into the rubbled heavy buidling (losing most of two squads) and you started advancing with another towards my woods - but if you would have removed me from that spot then, I wouldnt have been able to take it back. that being said, it wouldnt have been easy - I was in reverse slope position with a good HQ - but I would have had to react with AFVs and you probably could have hurt me trying to react.

Anyway, it was a good a game. You had me worried you would beat me in another draw at turn 18. But I think you need to learn to win with inf, it will make you a better combined arms player.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAR - Sweeny Mark, the Demon Commander of Meet Street seeks revenge - by Colonel Talvela - 05-13-2008, 07:53 AM