• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Interesting news over at Matrix guys.......
03-30-2008, 02:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2008, 04:19 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys.......
I was a big Steel Panthers fan when it was the only game in town but I never quite felt comfortable with the totally unrealistic way units had to be moved individually instead of in waves, then when CM arrived 7 years ago it completely blew SP out of the water and I've never played it since..
As for top-down 2D in games like CC:MT, you get used to it. After all we've played board wargames for years on 2D cardboard or paper maps (Squad Leader etc), so 2D is nothing new..;)
Like I said, real-life commanders command from a flat map or screen in realtime, so it's an interesting challenge to see if we're up to doing it too..
Hey that'd make a good Star Trek story line - you're a civilian on board Enterprise as its guest when it comes under surprise attack by half-a-dozen Romulan warbirds and is left drifting near-helplessly in space with all the bridge crew unconscious or incapacitated including you. As the Romulans close in for the kill on all sides, Picard (on his back on the floor injured) feebly says to you -
"Mr Smith, I understand you have a reputation as a tactical wargamer at Starfleet Academy; are you familiar with a Galaxy-class starships weapons systems?""
YOU (bruised and battered) - "yes captain, but only in computer simulations"
PICARD (grasping your arm) -"Mr Smith, save my ship, you have command"
YOU (hesitantly) -"Aye sir.."
You crawl weakly over to the weapons consul avoiding Worf's unconscious body, and reach painfully up to press a sequence of buttons - PHASERS > ALL > 360 DEGREE SPREAD > AUTO-SELECT TARGETS > FIRE..

(cut to external view) -Zap zap zap zap zap zap..
Scratch 6 warbirds..
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys....... - by PoorOldSpike - 03-30-2008, 02:36 PM
RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys....... - by Copper - 04-03-2008, 01:57 AM