• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Coil vs. Goliath - An Idiot's Guide to Beating Players Waaaay Better Than You...
03-08-2008, 03:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2008, 03:54 PM by The Coil.)
RE: The Coil vs. Goliath - An Idiot's Guide to Beating Players Waaaay Better Than You...
Turn 9

Okay, quick update. My infantry are at the back of the woods around the flags, in various states of getting pummeled. I lost 2 more panzers last turn, not even sure what got 'em - these are the perils of going armor heavy. My panzers are creeping up behind the hill, I've kicked my Stugs at the back of the map into high gear to enter the fray, I've pulled my Grille into position to throw HE at the forward small flag (did I mention the Grille yet? I think I forgot about it when talking about kit selection. I have a Grille. There, now you're up to speed).

Here's an overview of the middle, where most of the action is:

[Image: CT5-overviewT9.jpg]

You can see my panzers, now in 2 basic groups on either side of the small flag (what's left of them), CT has a cluster of armor behind that little wooded hill.

I would like to point out at this point, for the learner among you, that the best way to play this game is to come with plenty of infantry and keep your armor well back in support. Leto and CT, as I've said, are generally right - infantry wins ball games. If you bring almost all armor, you'll generally get it popped piecemeal by infantry and your opponent's AFVs, which have an easier time picking up targets with infantry spotting for them. That's the way it looks like this is going to go...

If you opt to go armor heavy, you've got to play them aggressive, because you'll never dig all the infantry out with your lame-o spotting ability and limtied HE supply (even if it's a big HE supply, it's limited...) My biggest mistake here is trying to play the aggressive game, then chickening out once a panzer or two got popped. Should've kept pushing forward quicker - might've got wiped up, but I'd have had a chance. Now that my advance has bogged down, I think about pulling back, letting the HE do the work, and getting some space between me and CT's inf. Reasonable decision, right-o? Maybe. But then I think better of it. I came to play aggressive, I'm going to play aggressive...I give the panzers orders to leap forward on either side of the tree-covered hill, with cover arcs CAREFULLY set to turn my guns toward CT's armor clot (2 TDs, 2 Stuarts, and an HT, as far as I can tell). Meanwhile, the Grille area fires on the flag as the Stugs take up position on a rise in the back, and a mortar drops rounds on a patch of woods by the M10s to try to panic them. What follows is a very strange turn...
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Coil vs. Goliath - An Idiot's Guide to Beating Players Waaaay Better Than You... - by The Coil - 03-08-2008, 03:52 PM