• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Air and Artillery by the Map Optional Rule for D85
01-16-2008, 06:33 AM,
RE: Air and Artillery by the Map Optional Rule for D85
Mike Bowen Wrote:Perhaps you need to create in OOBs (if you feel the need) Corps level spotters with high DV so they do not get zapped by artillery and low assault to stop improper use. Sort of like the naval spotters in Sicily. I am not saying the games need these just that that might be an answer to the point raised.

That would work too Mike - and lets not lose sight of WHY Naval Spotters were used in Sicily. It was not just because they existed - there is always a judgement call on what to include and what is too much detail.

The reason BRITISH Naval Spotters were used in Sicily is because there was a clear advantage in the system employed by the US on their beaches and Naval Firepower was the deciding factor in at least one case - and that fire was directed by ground units not spotter.

On the UK side, there was a case (or cases) where the British units could see the Navy off shore and their fire was desparately needed but they were unable to call the fire. I can't recall all the detal but I think they are in the notes.

Anyway - the point here is that spotters were used to contrast different capabilities within units on one side. Not because we wanted to make the OOB more detailed.

Glenn
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Air and Artillery by the Map Optional Rule for D85 - by Glenn Saunders - 01-16-2008, 06:33 AM