• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Air and Artillery by the Map Optional Rule for D85
01-15-2008, 12:21 PM,
RE: Air and Artillery by the Map Optional Rule for D85
Field Artillery tactics simulated by "indirect fire by the map" were developed by the American Army during WWII annd refined during KOREA as were the command and signal capabilities to put them to effective use. I have seen no reason to believe that Wermacht Field Artillery command and signal was not equally as sophisticated. I kind of doubt if the Soviets had that capability during WWII, but have no real knowledge about that.

Certainly during the '60s, when I was FDO for several different FA Battalions, "indirect fire by the map" was quite routine, nothing out of the ordinary. (Recall: Direct Support, Reinforcing, General Support, General Support Reinforcing). Definitely by the "Modern Campaigns" era, the capability to do so was standard for both sides.

Have communicated previously with Glenn my preferences for more sophisticated fire planning and fire support coordination tactics in Panzer Campaigns and Modern Campaigns. I believe we agreed that the gaming population with the interest and patience to utilize them was probably not large enough to warrant much action along that line.

Bottom line, IMO, playing Modern Campaigns WITHOUT "indirect fire by the map" is an unrealistic distortion of modern Field Artillery practices, though I can accept that some experienced "maneuver branch" players may disagree with me.
"Artillerymen believe the world consists of two kinds of people: other artillerymen and targets."
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Air and Artillery by the Map Optional Rule for D85 - by timshin42 - 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM