• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why I miss old clickies: a lament...
09-02-2007, 10:57 PM,
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament...
McIvan, on your comments:

Abuse is still abuse and requires maintenance from someone to resolve.
Difficult to consider abuse beneficial, but I do see where multiple rewarding can be stimulating for a different reason.

Coil gave some good posts, but there are holes in his theory.
The main problem is that he's the only one making them (well it's not a real problem :whis:) and he's already stated he's not interested in a club wide survey and has no time to generate club wide effort. Any changes to the system involves the entire club, only reasonable to suggest the entire club be involved.

He is stating the obvious in his post, "when 2 or 3 people give you a CLICKIE" then you are getting feedback from different people, which is how a reputation is developed.

Reputation is the opinion (more technically, a social evaluation) of the public toward a person, a group of people, or an organization. It is an important factor in many fields, such as business, online communities or social status.

How is a multiple clickie from the same person benefiting?
I don't see it "benefiting" to one's reputation, only "rewarding" to one's Ego.

It is not a public opinion, which is given by many different people, only 1 man's view and therefore unbalancing in the act of deciding the public reputation of a person.

A large reputation should be noticeable if a person has influenced more people with their actions, not because you've impressed 1 person. You won't get nominated by the political party of your choice because you've made a good impression on your best friend. You've got to convince many other people your reputation is worthy of their backing.

By looking at the # of times a post was viewed the member gets an idea of how many are reading and if his time is worth the postings. clickies have nothing to do with the # of views, which is a stronger indicator of how much interest is aroused by your post, since most readers don't leave clickie feedback.

In regards to lively interaction based on clickie giving, I find that funny since the only ones generating lively interaction are POS, with his complaining about being red repped and the following members, the coil, hirr leto and colT. There are no other lively interactions other than the discussions between these few and those very few who comment upon their threads once in a while. The only place this "interaction" is taking place or seems to have effect, is here on the CM forum and by the same 3 people.
So it is reasonable to state that clickies are not generating any such effect on an other forum and with reasonable deduction, any other members.

Taking a look around, there is very little CM topic discussion going on at the following sites, Waw, Gamesquad, FMJ, kampfgruppe, the only site generating major CM talk is TPG and that's mainly designer and playtesting talk, at a CM only site.
Based upon this survey, it is fairly reasonable to state that CM based topics are slowly dwindling down. It is also safe to say that CM forums everywhere are slowing down, in regards to CM topic posts.

DAR and AAR reports had their fun in the sun recently, they have fallen off a great bit, but I believe that's due to player's RL issues, not clickie fever.

Tactical posts are down, that's somewhat related to POS's ego trip about red rep points he earned fair and square. It's also related to the members being diluted with just about every conceivable tactic and strategy in CM, with little left to expand upon. Once you have it all, it's very hard to grow, outside of experience related discussions. I don't see this is because of Clickie fever.

Personally, I've wondered if there is even any reasons to discuss the matter and have taken liberty to provide input on what I see as a stirring of the pot mainly, but with reasonable doubt that it is actually something many people want.
I don't want to look as the only naysayer here or shooting the idea down here, but in all regards, the discussion is really only based on the whims of 3 people with little substance outside of "fun interacting clickie perversion between friends"

Irregardless of how I see the birth, development and sustained debate on the matter, I do feel a look into a combination of both systems might get satisfaction from a large number of members, which is the goal here.

One more thing that is missing from the new system is a reference, a sort of tie to a post or thread, that shows the receiving member what he is being rewarded for.

Again, it's all irreverent if Raz can't make coding changes that don't upset the security of the forums.. Once we hear from him, we'll have something to go on.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-26-2007, 06:52 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-27-2007, 04:14 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-28-2007, 04:39 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-28-2007, 09:08 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-28-2007, 12:07 PM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-28-2007, 01:01 PM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-29-2007, 12:23 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-31-2007, 12:34 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-29-2007, 10:42 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-30-2007, 12:35 PM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-31-2007, 07:45 AM