• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why I miss old clickies: a lament...
09-01-2007, 05:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-01-2007, 05:30 AM by The Coil.)
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament...
RedDevil Wrote:...so far there's not been much beneficial talk :) just personal gyrations of not being able to give clickies multiple times at least that's all I'm seeing so far?

I think if you go back and read my initial few posts in this thread, you get some good arguments for the benefits of multiple clickies. I shall spare everyone and not repost them again. Of course, one man's reasoned arguement is another man's personal gyration... ;)

RedDevil Wrote:A change to the clickie code might take minutes or months.. I don't know...

That's why I'm not optimistic about a public opinion poll producing any changes. It's going to come down to a decision by those who have to do the work. I've presented what I think are good reasons for returning to some aspects of the old way. I think there has been general agreement that the old way was better in the respects mentioned.

RedDevil Wrote:I would not mind the return to some parts of the old way, with some additions of the new way added in. However, I do feel that abuse of the system will continue to arouse subjective discussions amongst the natives no matter what give and take is managed in the end. :)

There never was abuse much of the old system. Just POS claiming abuse because he got red repped. Which was really just the system functioning the way it was supposed to.

RedDevil Wrote:The biggest grief issue is the anonymous factor, The biggest abuse issue is the buddy system and the major issue overall is security of the club being breached by making changes to the code.

I care less about any personal or abusive issues than I do about the security of the club. Abuse and personal issues can be handled alot differently than security issues.
Hopefully, this isn't viewed as a hard-line or dictatorship like attitude. Eek

Nope, not at all. I'm in complete agreement. The loss of anonymity is a good thing, reins in (potential) abuse. The buddy thing could be prevented with some sort of one clickie per person per week rule, or a must give clickies to 3 other people before you can give another to the same person rule or something. The key feature of the old system in my opinion, is the ability to give multiple clickies if a person does multiple things deserving of them...

RedDevil Wrote:I'm also pointing out that the topic hasn't developed into the debate of the pros and cons of either clickie system, past personal preferences or issues.

I think there's been quite a bit of discussion in this thread about the pros and cons of both systems, personal preferences, and other issues. I guess I'm not quite sure what you're looking for (not in an annoyed way at all...I just think the basic issues were laid out in the first 4 pages of this thread). I think it's telling that most of the opinions expressed were in favor of a return to multiple clickies. There haven't really been any voices in favor of the new one clickie system (except maybe you, RD...and I think there are ways to get around the abuse while retaining the benefits of multiple clickes, as I mentioned above).

RedDevil Wrote:What is the benefit of allowing multiple clickies, as opposed to 1 opinion rating per member.
How is the giving of more clickies promoting more posting and member interaction.

Addressed extensively in my first two posts.

RedDevil Wrote:What is the benefit of hiding the rep point giver from the receiving member?

Aren't any I can think of

RedDevil Wrote:What methods are going to prevent abuse of the mulitple clickie giving between members who simply give them without regards to the overall purpose of the system?

I mentioned a few above, but it's probably up to whoever does the coding and what is possible.

RedDevil Wrote:What is/are the fault(s) of the reputation system and is it/they correctable?

That's what this whole thread has been about.

RedDevil Wrote:What is the benefit of starting everyone over from scratch with the new system?

Also addressed in my first two posts...

RedDevil Wrote:These are some of the questions that should be under debate.

They sort of are under debate, just nobody has really disagreed with my positions as I've outlined them.

This is really going to be more about "what do those making the decisions and running the website find compelling as an argument". If you guys think it's worth doing, do it. If not, don't. I think I've made a strong argument for the lost features of old clickies promoting a more active board. Nobody has disagreed with this argument (again, except maybe you, RD).

Anyway, I here leave it up to better men to decide. Baby was born, my time is limited... Long live clickies![/quote]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-26-2007, 06:52 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-27-2007, 04:14 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-28-2007, 04:39 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-28-2007, 09:08 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-28-2007, 12:07 PM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-28-2007, 01:01 PM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-29-2007, 12:23 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-31-2007, 12:34 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-29-2007, 10:42 AM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-30-2007, 12:35 PM
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament... - by Copper - 08-31-2007, 07:45 AM