• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Updated France '40 ALT art / scenario pack
05-17-2007, 12:51 PM,
RE: Updated France '40 ALT art / scenario pack
Tortue_Agile Wrote:The big problem with the campaign is that it is difficult to recreate the breakthrough in the Ardennes without having the French already ready for a strong defense in the sector (on in a central position ready to react). We have the knowledge of the Campaign, of the German Strategy and of the French mistakes. And to add to all that, there is no surprise in the German attack.

If a German player wants to see the historical result, why not just have the Allies play as the AI with the historical orders? Or start the game in May 13 - think there is a scenario that does this.

I am the Allies in a campaign scenario and we are through to May 13. At the cost of horrendous casuaties, we are holding the Germans back and so they are roughly a day behind schedule.

Looking at the new unit ratings, I have to wonder why the Allied player would ever agree to play an OOB where they have been derated by another 15% in quality. I understand the discussion about the units getting stronger based on (what I assume to be) raw combat power calculation. I have not looked, but I assume that the German units stayed the same.

My skepticism is this: There are virtually no units in the French (and Belgium) Army that are the the same "quality" as the lowest quality German troops. This just does not make sense. I would think that the quality of an active organization that has been together for some years would be at least as good as the most recently raised German divisions. Instead, we see the French active army mobile troops reduced in quality to below that of the newest, least effective, German division. Somehow, I think that quality is getting morphed into something else.

My experience with the Belgian E quality troops is that they are speed bumps for German infantry. Reading through a Belgian army description of the game, it appears that the Belgians could break contact and move back to another position. In FR40, this is simply not possible. So any Belgian infantry battalian that comes into contact with a German unit is fixed and soon destroyed. I have prolonged the agony of the destruction of the Belgian divisions by moving mobile troops (including the British) up to try to let them get away. It is not working.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Updated France '40 ALT art / scenario pack - by rmonical - 05-17-2007, 12:51 PM