• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Alternate Scenario fire values
05-02-2007, 02:01 PM,
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values
VM - Thanks for the reply.

Re assault guns. I guess it depends to some extent on your definition of ranged fire vs assault. I hadn't really envisaged assaults as physically running over enemy positions and using the bayonet, rather getting in close and blasting away at several hundred metres while the infantry get close enough to the enemy for short range small arms fire. The change to assault values effectively forces the SP's to stand back at ranges greater than 1,000 metres to be effective. If I rethink my definition of assault though I can see your point. I am not sure I am wrong, but I do see the argument.

Re artillery. Ya reckon? I saw your earlier emails and thought at the time, yeah maybe, but now I have played with the scenarios I just feel you have overdone it. I have read so many accounts of concentrated artillery fire driving back German counter attacks in Normandy and later. I can see they are unlikely to knock out large numbers of late war armoured vehicles, but I certainly can see confusion, suppression, fatigue and loss of cohesion - i.e. disruption. I can't see "no effect", "no effect", "no effect", "no effect", "no effect", "no effect", "no effect" which is what happens now. The result is a smart player never wastes his arty on a hard target. Its pointless. Yet in the real thing arty did fire at armour - lots. Sorry but just doesn't pass the credibilty test for me.

I do appreciate all the work though. Can I just have the alternate scenarios without the MaNamara artillery changes? Big Grin

Regards
Andrew

PS :I actually have a beef with the effectiveness of naval artillery and air strikes on hard targets overall. That is not limited to your OOB's though. I think they are underdone in the whole game. I am a big fan of making them more effective.

PPS : While I am raving on about it - I think dug in units should get a defensive fire bonus. The PzC system does favour the attacker. No doubt in my mind and I think it has been noted several times by others in the forum. Giving the defender a fire bonus of one half the defensive bonus percentage of the prepared positions would go a long way to remedy this.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Alternate Scenario fire values - by Andrew - 05-02-2007, 11:02 AM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Jazman - 05-02-2007, 12:08 PM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Andrew - 05-02-2007, 02:01 PM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Andrew - 05-02-2007, 04:39 PM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Andrew - 05-02-2007, 04:47 PM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Andrew - 05-02-2007, 04:58 PM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Hank - 05-03-2007, 12:03 AM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Hank - 05-03-2007, 03:02 AM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Ricky B - 05-05-2007, 11:16 PM