• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Alternate Scenario fire values
05-02-2007, 11:02 AM,
Alternate Scenario fire values
I have just finished playing two games of Bulge '44 using the alternate scenarios with the McNamara data base. A couple of things caused me some angst and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Firstly the artillery values. The hard attack factor on most artillery units has been reduced to either 1 or 2, so now arty is effectively useless against armour. I find this odd. I have read numerous times of how artillery was used to break up armoured attacks, disrupting the attacking unit and disabling some vehicles. Allied naval gunfire was particularly effective during the Normandy campaign in achieving this and was often quoted as a major factor in the German defeat in Normandy. Yet we now have artillery basically impotent against armoured units. The impact is that you never even bother shooting at armour, rather focus all your arty on soft units irrespective of the situation. Given the Western Allies had pretty poor armour and, generally speaking, average to poor quality infantry, counterbalanced by very good artillery and later in the war very good tactical air support capability, it seems to artificially handicap them in favour of the German armour superiority.

Secondly the assault values of German assault guns has been halved (or worse). I can't see the logic in this either. Lack of a turret seems to be the cited reason, but that alone cannot explain the now near uselessness of these units in supporting infantry assaults. That was the specific purpose the whole Stug line of vehicles was designed to achieve. They would advance with the infantry proving mobile artillery support and armour protection for the assault teams. Why then make them so useless in the assault they are now no longer used for that purpose. Fair enough to encourage appropriate use of the SP anti tank guns like the JgPz IV and the Hetzer, but this goes too far I think.

I realise these are optional values and I don't have to use them, but there are other things in the scenarios that I really like. The increased AT range and firepower work well and the revised set ups and OOB's are an improvement. I actually want to use them but the arty thing in particular pushes me away. Anyone else feel the same thing? Interested in other player's thoughts.

Regards
Andrew
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Alternate Scenario fire values - by Andrew - 05-02-2007, 11:02 AM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Jazman - 05-02-2007, 12:08 PM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Andrew - 05-02-2007, 02:01 PM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Andrew - 05-02-2007, 04:39 PM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Andrew - 05-02-2007, 04:47 PM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Andrew - 05-02-2007, 04:58 PM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Hank - 05-03-2007, 12:03 AM
RE: Alternate Scenario fire values - by Hank - 05-03-2007, 03:02 AM