• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

If you test this way don't test at all
03-16-2007, 09:00 PM,
RE:��If you test this way don't test at all
Stryker Wrote:1. Campaign Series is a GAME not a simulation so by definition you cannot have a historically accurate scenario past the first move, so after that, what's the point? surely to make the "game" interesting to the player, no?

For me the playtest is only needed to see if I have simulated the problems faced by each side historically..IE weather,terrain etc.So, your right I should probably specify that when asking for input....I don't get offended by criticisms tho as long as I can see that I have achieved the desired effect.Lastly, by designing an historical scenario I am only trying to simulate the conditions etc....the whole point is to let the player try and do things differently to affect the outcome......sometimes designers get upset when people actually do try a different stategy...to bad.

2. If you design a historically accurate scenario, why would you need it play tested, why would you care if it was balanced or interesting for the gamer? so why ask? Get a critique from someone else who knows the minutia of the battle or is willing to study it. Don't ask a gamer and don't release it for general play.

I do that...and my newer scenarios are now only available to play by request.

3. If you are designing a scenario to be interesting for the gamer, expect him to say when the Axis side needs Marders or some armour to make it playable... whether or not they were actually there is irrelevant as you can only ever design a representation of a battle or event anyway.. or don't design battles for general release where the accurate OOB is unplayable in a game... just design them for yourself... then there's no offence taken on any side.

I design a scenario based on something I think is interesting.Again not offended if someone else is not interested.I don't design for gamers per se....but have found there are things you must do to work around or counteract the gaminess inherent in the system.

4. If someone has taken the time to help you by playtesting, but is not doing the job you would like, then a private email thanking them for their time but stating that you do not require any more assistance is far more acceptable than a public rant on the message board which may put off others who may potentially have helped.

I already do this......most of my so called playtests are by invitation only.....and the feedback is always accepted...I am particularly grateful for observations that pick up map flaws etc.

Thanks for listening :soap:

Paul

Your points were well made.......and I was amazed at Red Devils diplomacy also....a few years ago he would have just destroyed us on the field of battle.....(it's a joke)

von Earlmann
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE:��If you test this way don't test at all - by Von Earlmann - 03-16-2007, 09:00 PM