• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Shoot & Scoot & Pet Hates
01-21-2007, 03:44 AM,
RE: Shoot & Scoot & Pet Hates
Toten Tanz Wrote:I'll jump in here, as I like a good arguement:-) First off, as stated, it's a game. If you want realism, your are looking in the wrong place. Unless you have access to something like the Armor Training Facility, at Ft. Know, you are never going to find it, either. At least, not anytime soon.

Secondly, moving from one hex to another does not take 250m. In any movement from hex to hex, a unit could move anywhere from 1M to 500M. Hexes, in relation to ground scale, represent areas of control. I.E., a 1 SP tank unit does not sit on the entire hex, but it's presence controls it. So, in game terms, a tank could move several meters, and control an empty hex, fire and move back to control a different hex. Additionally, in the time frame of each turn, an entire platoon could individually shoot and scoot into and out of a hex, thus controlling the hex the entire turn

Disrupt, surround and capture is a valid tactic, and very realistic. Don't think so? Read up a little bit on Barbarossa. It is also a tactic that is easily defended against. If you are getting large amounts of troops captured in one fell swoop, then you are not using good tactics. Large formations of men w/o support to the sides, or rear are very vunerable in the game, as well in real life.

Armor retreat problems. Once again, in the abstract, it is more realistic than people give it credit for. Displacing under fire is very dangerous for vehicles, and men to boot. I like ASDN's patch. After playing it, though, instead of fiddling with armor facing during a retreat, I would suggest changing the armor facing modifier, or attack modifier when a unit has retreated. This would model tankers displacing in an orderly manner, rather than simply high tailing it, while under fire.

Op Fire; pretty bad stuff. You can increase the success of your op fire by setting it to your advantage. Too many people simply leave it at default, then complain when it back fires on them. Set the default ranges you want, then tweak individual units EVERY turn.

Just remember, the game is an ABSTRACTION of real war. As such, there are compromises that must be made.

I agree entirely with this point of view.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Shoot & Scoot & Pet Hates - by Gordons HQ - 01-10-2007, 01:49 AM
RE: Shoot & Scoot & Pet Hates - by McIvan - 01-10-2007, 08:20 AM
RE: Shoot & Scoot & Pet Hates - by Digger - 01-10-2007, 11:50 AM
RE: Shoot & Scoot & Pet Hates - by Cam - 01-10-2007, 12:35 PM
RE: Shoot & Scoot & Pet Hates - by Gordons HQ - 01-10-2007, 08:13 PM
RE: Shoot & Scoot & Pet Hates - by John Given - 01-14-2007, 09:15 AM
RE: Shoot & Scoot & Pet Hates - by BT - 01-18-2007, 10:24 AM
RE: Shoot & Scoot & Pet Hates - by Digger - 01-18-2007, 04:39 PM
RE: Shoot & Scoot & Pet Hates - by Von Earlmann - 01-18-2007, 09:22 PM
RE: Shoot & Scoot & Pet Hates - by Von Luck - 01-19-2007, 08:09 AM