• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Good morning a few hours too early
06-20-2006, 02:57 PM,
RE: Good morning a few hours too early
I just ran the scenario again (S42 1212-01) and 1800 is a dusk turn, 2000, 0000 are night turns, 0400 is a dawn turn and 0600 is a day turn.

If there is no way to make the 0400 to 0600 game turn a night turn then the system needs to be overhauled. It is pitch black at both 1800 (NOT DUSK) and 0600 (NOT DAWN) in Russia in December. In fact, every place north of the equator receives no direct sunlight greater than 12 hours a day from March 21 (vernal equinox) to Sept 23 (autumnal equinox). When you get to 48 N the change is much greater and the nights are always significantly more than 12 hours from late October to early February. Go to 67 N and there's 24 hours of darkness in December (i.e., Arctic Circle).

So ANY scenario in Russia in the months of November, December, January and perhaps February should have night from at least 1800 to 0600, and in reality it could start as early as 1600 and end as late as 0800 [without dawn or dusk, since the sun angle is so low in the sky (<20 degrees even at noon) anyway].

Anyone that lives that far from the equator knows how long the winter nights are, and how long the summer days are. I just wish the game wasn't showing the sky lightening at 0400 in December when it doesn't happen until much, much later. Camp outside your home sometime in December and this realization will quickly hit home. You'll lay there after 12 hours of pitch black just wishing the sun would rise just so you could warm up a little.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Good morning a few hours too early - by General Beanie - 06-20-2006, 02:57 PM