• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What is possible or practical with ZOC
06-09-2008, 07:18 AM,
What is possible or practical with ZOC
ZOC or zone of control, and how it is used in the game got me to thinking. It seems a reflection of basic board game ZOC rules.

But What If ZOC were a reflection of the unit and terrain. For example, an infantry company in the woods is not going to influence the terrain around it (as much) due to the numbers of soldiers who would be available to influence the surrounding terrain. On the other hand, an Infantry Battalion should be able to fairly easy. So, using the above example a Company sized unit in the woods would induce far less a ZOC penalty. Another example; a Tank unit in the woods/urban, (regardless of size) would not have nearly the ZOC of a like sized infantry unit, but in the open terrain, the tank unit would exert more of ZOC penalty. What this means is in "close terrain", woods and urban areas, ZOC into those areas would be reduced or "scaled" if you will, while the same would apply to open terrain, but again differently. It would all hing on unit type and terrain. This could also be tied into disruption effects. I feel the method for ZOC suggested above is more realistic and better reflects reality.

I think this would reward the use of units types in appropriate terrain, and reward larger units, and better reflect suppression effects to reduce ZOC penalties.

I guess I am asking Glen how hard this would be to implement from a programing perspective, and is there any interest from HPS or the "Mob" out there to see ZOC reflected in the above manner, or a manner similar.
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2008, 07:28 AM,
RE: What is possible or practical with ZOC
Zemke Wrote:...
I guess I am asking Glen how hard this would be to implement from a programing perspective, and is there any interest from HPS or the "Mob" out there to see ZOC reflected in the above manner, or a manner similar.

Zemke

Panzer Campaigns has three different models for ZOC that you have to work with - more than any other game I know of. When I've looked for more options I basically hear the same thing - "pick one of the three models, which ever works best, and go with that."

Glenn
Send this user an email
06-09-2008, 10:41 AM,
RE: What is possible or practical with ZOC
Roger