• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Vehicle MG effectiveness?
06-07-2007, 07:11 AM,
Vehicle MG effectiveness?
A question to which the answer is probably posted on this board in a dozen places: what are the characteristics of the various vehicle-mounted machine guns? They do not display in the unit details.
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2007, 07:17 AM,
RE: Vehicle MG effectiveness?
I suspect the firepower is the same as a single LMG (~30), but you can shoot up to 1000m. That's for .30cal weapons.
06-07-2007, 08:20 AM,
I always thought they were HMGs (.50 cal/MG42) on vehicles, specifically HTs.

Where is The Coil at when you need a test done and are too lazy to do it yourself?

::cracks open the can of clickies and knows the scent will draw him near::
06-07-2007, 10:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2007, 10:33 AM by McIvan.)
06-07-2007, 03:07 PM,
RE:��Vehicle MG effectiveness?
Colonel Talvela Wrote:I always thought they were HMGs (.50 cal/MG42) on vehicles, specifically HTs.

Where is The Coil at when you need a test done and are too lazy to do it yourself?

::cracks open the can of clickies and knows the scent will draw him near::

*sniff sniff*
06-07-2007, 04:08 PM,
RE:��Vehicle MG effectiveness?
kineas Wrote:I suspect the firepower is the same as a single LMG (~30), but you can shoot up to 1000m. That's for .30cal weapons.

Yeah, it seems like all vehicle MGs have a 1000m range, Axis and Allied. Given that MG42s and 34s can shoot 2000m, and .50 cals can shoot really, really, far, (I just tested all this, so should be accurate...) and the other in game MGs have ranges that escape me right now, but I don't think are 1000m, it seems like vehicle MGs are modelled in a class of their own, unlike the MG42 or .50cal or whatever in range (and perhaps, penetrating power).

That's all in game terms, of course. If you want to know historically what they were, ask on Battlefront's forums, and you'll have a lively debate going in no time, that'll sound something like this: "Well, the halftracks produced in early '42 in the northern factories mounted the Mark IV model C .50 cal, although they didn't make it into service until late '43 of course, because they had to be retrofitted to the Johnson valves in the cargo holds common on the cargo ships at the time." And someone will tell that person they're crazy, that of course they were in service in late '42, any idiot knows that. And it'll go from there...
06-07-2007, 04:35 PM,
One thing that's overmodeled is the MG effectiveness during moving. You can test it out in any FPS (they can simulate that well). From a moving tank you can't really hit anything, just spray bullets.