• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

S42 Notes & Questions
02-05-2007, 12:15 PM,
S42 Notes & Questions
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2007, 03:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2007, 03:42 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
RE: S42 Notes & Questions
Krak Wrote:I note on another forum Jim Wirth was writing about how easy the German Northern bunker line was collapsing. I have the same problem.

FWIW, Jim Wirth on the other forum sent me his file this morning. The Scn he was playing used as Alternative OOB named:

> Stalingrad '42 Nov Revised.oob

...and it was using a number of the ALt Fire Rules which could have contribute to more disruptions - hard to say for sure.

In any case it was not the standard game oob or using the standard the default optional rules - so if you mess with the values we tested under, for sure you are more likely to get different results.

Quote:2. Why is it that if I vacate one of my bunkers to shuffle some troops around the bunker is then reduced in strength by 50%. That is if I leave a -30% +5 bunker and then reoccupy it its strength is reduced to -15% +2. Why can't I re engineer it like I can with an improved position?

Well, that goes back to Smolensk v1.0 which predates my time with John Tiller on the Series so I can't give you any first hand info on the discussion at the time. However, if you are juggling units around I guess you already know that it is not a good idea to vacant the FORT or it will become a Fort at half the value.

The justification is that units just can't come upon a vacant position and just take it over knowing first hand where all the fields of fire are and how the original defender intended the defense plan to go.

Of course this too is part of the problem you have to accept when dealing with a turn based game.

Quote: 3. We had a storm that lasted for 3 days (yep 30 turns). Is that normal?

Seems long, but not impossible. The Storms rule was added with Rzhv '42 and frankly without them and there sever effects it would be impossible to simulate that battle. Storms played some sort of role in the Moscow and Stalingrad battle I believe - not sure how long any lasted now but they were certainly possible as I can see a big one lasting that long although I would agree 3 days would be pretty long.

I suppose you could disable them if you disgreed with them, but I think you might find the Russian advance might go even faster if\after they opened a hole in the line.

In any case, as someone pointed out on that other forum, the intent is not to match the historical weather, but to factor in those things that are possible and could affect the battle.

Glenn
Send this user an email
02-06-2007, 07:01 AM,
Thanks Glenn, actually I didn't mind that long storm, it was my opponent who was moaning. It helped me hang on to some bunkers till help arrived!
02-06-2007, 07:15 AM,
RE:��S42 Notes & Questions
Krak Wrote:Thanks Glenn, actually I didn't mind that long storm, it was my opponent who was moaning. It helped me hang on to some bunkers till help arrived!

Well, he has a right to complain I suppose - I mean three days is a bloddy long storm. But I don't think that is typical, if it was I would ask John to look at the code. But we already have a update out now for Stalingrad so nothing would happen in the short term for sure, barring a bug we don't know about that is.

But I do have a new game where Stroms will come into play and a two day limit wouldn't hurt I suppose.

Glenn
Send this user an email
02-06-2007, 07:28 AM,
I have dealt with storms in Rzhev, Moscow, Stalingrad, El Alamein and maybe in more games, and never had a problem with them. Rarely it lasts more than a day, but I must say I virtually only play oficial scns...
02-06-2007, 09:36 AM,
RE:��S42 Notes & Questions
von Waldenburg Wrote:I have dealt with storms in Rzhev, Moscow, Stalingrad, El Alamein and maybe in more games, and never had a problem with them. Rarely it lasts more than a day, but I must say I virtually only play oficial scns...

Thanks for that ... and I was forgetting Alamein - yes, they play a role there too that is very important. We even have different sound files for the sand storms too. In any case, it is good to know from someone like yourself that the storms rarely last three days.

Glenn
Send this user an email