• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Morale
01-20-2009, 02:33 PM,
Morale
I am playing a lengthy Normandy '44 Alt scenario (Stalemate - 120 turns) as the Allies. I'm at turn 40 and I have noticed that the morale has dropped on many of my units but I'm unclear as to why and what steps, if any, can be taken to restore their morale.

I would also be curious to know what the morale rating is meant to represent. Is it a measure of fighting spirit? Experience? Quality? Leadership?

Another point I've noticed about morale is that Allied engineers, especially American, normally have a morale of "D". This strikes me as a bit odd as one would think that a highly trained, specialized unit would rate better than that. And, from my experience in N'44, it takes an Allied engineer, at full strength, at least 2 days to get a bridge operational. In east front games I've played, I've seen German engineers accomplish the same thing in a couple of hours!
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2009, 03:56 PM,
RE: Morale
First morale is meant to be an abstract measure of how the unit will work as a unit. Consider it a reflection of the unit's willingness to fight and the internal command structure of the unit's officers to get the job done.

I think the design intention of N44 with D morale American engineers is to reflect that particular unit as being green. Quite a few American divisions that took part in the N44 CG were not professional army but conscripted and National Guard units. Some divisions had not seen any real combat until they reached the front lines in Normandy. They would learn their trade the hard way.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
01-20-2009, 04:36 PM,
Yes, Dog Soldier is correct, those units with D quality / morale are green or unreliable troops. I am not sure why your morale would actually be dropping though other than if your units have any sort of negative status like "low ammo" "disrupted" "isolated" etc, or your HQs are out of command.
Send this user an email
01-20-2009, 05:06 PM,
Your morale is probably dropping because of fatigue...when you reach yellow fatigue, you drop one level. When it goes to red, you drop yet another level. This is on top of Disruption, Low Ammo, Isolated, Low Fuel as well...
01-21-2009, 06:37 AM,
Ahh yes, good point, sometimes the most obvious reason slips your mind. :(

Once your fatigue gets in the yellow your morale drops one step. Once it gets in the red it drops another step. Combine this with other morale loss effects then your morale could get to "F" or "no morale" very quickly.
Send this user an email
01-21-2009, 01:21 PM,
I think the high fatigue/low morale explanation certainly explains what my troops are experiencing. My opponent has been withdrawing steadily since turn one so my troops have not had a chance to rest. Consequently, my troops are tired but they control most of the map edge east of the Orne River and I'm at the outskirts of Cherbourg. 80 turns should be enough time to rest, lower my fatigue, increase my morale and make the final push.