• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Whats the must have JT/HPS CW game?
05-27-2013, 11:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM by gabeeg.)
Whats the must have JT/HPS CW game?
I know this has been asked before, but there have been a couple of releases and a few updates to older titles since. What do you regular players consider the must have game in this series. I play a bit against the AI but am mainly a PBEM player so would really like title with a good amount of balanced and well done scenarios. Not sure it will be in heavy rotation for me, but want to get my feet wet and want quality. Thanks for any suggestions!
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2013, 11:53 AM,
RE: Whats the must have JT/HPS CW game?
From my POV, you can't go wrong with any of the titles in the series.

If you are looking to purchase your first HPS/JTS ACW title I would suggest you select a title that you have a interest in.

Since you have played the EAW series and I am not sure how much you have played the NAP series, your learning curve will be alot easier than if you were totally new to JT titles.

The ACW series is like the EAW Series on steroids. You are normally controlling larger formations of men with alot more firepower, which makes it very exciting. Also, in the ACW series, cavalry units can dismount and fire if you need them to.

If you like to use art mods, the ones from Old Banshee are very popular and very nicely done.

http://old-banshee.yolasite.com/downloads.php

Here is an example of what their work looks like.

[Image: 376ce2ade6Ozark%20Leaders%20&%20Units.jpg]

Volcano Man also has a unit art mods for a few titles and his work looks like this.

[Image: 6ad513ce17VM%20ACW.jpg]

and can be found here:

http://volcanomods.com/index.php?option=...&Itemid=27

Other ACW art mods can be found in the BP Art Mod Section located here:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...hp?fid=263
05-27-2013, 01:20 PM,
Compass Rose gave you a great answer. If you have a particular ACW battle that really interests you then go with that one and you'll find someone who'll play. If I could only have one I guess I'd go with the one that is probably the most owned and get Gettysburg. It also offers a ton of scenarios from small to large.
05-29-2013, 10:57 AM,
I agree that you cannot go wrong with any of the titles but the title I have most enjoyed is Campaign Peninsula.

This one is a ton of fun, but I'm sure that whatever title you get that you will be quite happy. By the way, one of the best places to shop for HPS games is at NWS Online Gaming Store.

Good Luck in your future battles.
06-11-2013, 09:29 AM,
Thanks for the advice everyone, I ended up getting Campaign Peninsula. I have always wondered if McClellan showed some aggressiveness if they could take Richmond...now I will find out :) Then with the endorsement by Thunder...I pulled the trigger.

Compass, I downloaded a bunch of the mods you listed. Some really nice stuff there, I ended up the Peninsula redux from Old Banshees site, some of the atle mods and lowlanders tribute to Jison terrain tile mod....oh and the round base mod someone....
06-11-2013, 10:23 PM,
Great News! Thumbs Up

With so many different mods, I would suggest you use JSGME. Once you get things setup, it is a breeze to use.
06-12-2013, 07:00 AM,
(06-11-2013, 09:29 AM)gabeeg Wrote: Thanks for the advice everyone, I ended up getting Campaign Peninsula. I have always wondered if McClellan showed some aggressiveness if they could take Richmond...now I will find out :) Then with the endorsement by Thunder...I pulled the trigger.

Compass, I downloaded a bunch of the mods you listed. Some really nice stuff there, I ended up the Peninsula redux from Old Banshees site, some of the atle mods and lowlanders tribute to Jison terrain tile mod....oh and the round base mod someone....

Good choice. This one lets you play the entire campaign as one scenario if you have the time.
06-13-2013, 06:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2013, 06:09 AM by Lowlander.)

.zip   2D 3D 24 bit ground.zip (Size: 1.07 MB / Downloads: 324)
(06-11-2013, 09:29 AM)gabeeg Wrote: Thanks for the advice everyone, I ended up getting Campaign Peninsula. I have always wondered if McClellan showed some aggressiveness if they could take Richmond...now I will find out :) Then with the endorsement by Thunder...I pulled the trigger.

That terrain tile mod was just me farting around between turns.
This in my opinion is better, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
From a Nappy mod from a site which has now disappeared, altered to fit ACW Campaigns.

Would also recommend the small figure mod.
06-23-2013, 01:39 AM,
Nice, thanks lowlander!