• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

War of the Century
08-15-2009, 08:52 PM,
War of the Century
This is an un-paid endorsement for the video "War of the Century".

Produced by the BBC, it covers the war in Russia with extensive interviews with veterans from both sides, extensive footage, and best of all it's not the History Channel where two out of every three "facts" are wrong. Ian Kershaw is listed as the primary supporting expert, David Glantz is also listed along with several others.

The interviews alone would make a great documentary movie. I had not seen any of the interviews before, they are about equally split between Germans and Russians. Includes people like Stalin's telegraph operator, German 6th Army survivors, a Russian NKVD officer, and of course lots of combat soldiers.

It's divided into 4 parts, each is about 45 minutes long. Net Flix has it, that's how I found it. Check it out, you will not be disappointed.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2009, 11:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-22-2009, 11:35 AM by Weasel.)
RE: War of the Century
Will have to see if Zip has it. Thanks.

Update: Of course they don't!
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-01-2009, 05:59 AM,
Thanks for the post Jobu88! I watched it through Youtube - I had never heard of it, and was suitably impressed, and downright chilled in spots. Nicely balanced, and like you say the interviews are amazing. The one scene that sticks out was the one where German soldiers are throwing pieces of food to a throng of Soviet prisoners - very sobering to say the least...
09-01-2009, 06:40 AM,
Another one I just discovered, also by the BBC with Ian Kershaw advising, is The Nazis: A Warning From History. It's more about the Nazi regime dynamics, how they came to power, how there was a never ending competition for Hitler's favor, the death camps. Only a small part of it is actually about the war.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]