• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTS Campaign Gettysburg - New Player
06-13-2017, 07:47 AM,
JTS Campaign Gettysburg - New Player
Hi All  - I'm new to The Blitz (just joined today).  I'm a long time player (single and e-mail) of Battleground GB (Matrix version).  I thought I would upgrade to a more modern version and recently purchased JTS Campaign GB.  Well, it looks more like a step backwards to me.  The map and unit graphics look horrible.  I suppose I can improve that with mods, and I will look for some.  My immediate question is what is the executable game file to start the game?  For some reason (maybe my fault) the installer did not make a desktop shortcut.  I noticed there is a more zoomed version of the 2D map in v2.01, but I'm not sure how to tell what version I have.  Any help on what the executable files are for both the campaign and individual battles?

Thanks,
Robert
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2017, 09:45 AM,
RE: JTS Campaign Gettysburg - New Player
Glad to hear that you are starting out with Gettysburg as that is a popular title.

To be able to start the game you will need to select "Main Program".

Once the game has opened, go to the far top right and under the drop down menu "Help" select "About". That will produce a new window that will show you what version your game is.
06-26-2017, 09:01 AM,
RE: JTS Campaign Gettysburg - New Player
(06-13-2017, 07:47 AM)Robert Wevodau Wrote: Hi All  - I'm new to The Blitz (just joined today).  I'm a long time player (single and e-mail) of Battleground GB (Matrix version).  I thought I would upgrade to a more modern version and recently purchased JTS Campaign GB.  Well, it looks more like a step backwards to me.  The map and unit graphics look horrible.  I suppose I can improve that with mods, and I will look for some.  My immediate question is what is the executable game file to start the game?  For some reason (maybe my fault) the installer did not make a desktop shortcut.  I noticed there is a more zoomed version of the 2D map in v2.01, but I'm not sure how to tell what version I have.  Any help on what the executable files are for both the campaign and individual battles?

Thanks,
Robert

Hi Robert, how's your transition going? The map style was changed many years ago for a variety of reasons. One being isn't immensely expensive to have hand painted maps done for every battlefield. But additionally, the newer tiled approach to maps - where they are built as the computer scrolls around rather than being a single huge image file - allows for much larger game maps. Accordingly, the content included in the single title you purchased is significantly more than all the old Battleground games combined.

The games also continued to be updated and support for newer operating systems added in. Gettysburg just had its latest update issued in Feb, so be sure to grab it here - http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Updates.html