• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help with A/I Orders
09-07-2013, 08:29 AM,
Help with A/I Orders
Hello All:

Really struggling with this. Trying the immediate type in the Mius campaign. Many of the units in an organization do not move at all. I thought that was the idea so as to save you time/clicks?

Thanks in advance,

Gerry
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2013, 08:46 AM,
RE: Help with A/I Orders
(09-07-2013, 08:29 AM)GerryM Wrote: Really struggling with this. Trying the immediate type in the Mius campaign. Many of the units in an organization do not move at all. I thought that was the idea so as to save you time/clicks?

I think you're doing it wrong...this feature is actually pretty handy. The key is to click on, but not select a unit (ie, select the hex with the unit) and then go ahead. Best to have units more or less lined up in a column before you do this, or you get some snake-like movement.

If units aren't moving they are probably not part of the unit.

Or perhaps this feature is disabled in Mius, a demo, although I doubt it.
09-07-2013, 09:05 AM,
I am not selecting a unit and I have the Divisional Markings showing so I think I am OK there. Maybe it takes them a while to sort themselves out? For example, if the division are in say 5 adjacent hexes, some at the back will not move. But it looks like the front guys are establishing a column. Then maybe in successive turns, they will all move in this column? I will keep trying.

Thanks,

Gerry
09-07-2013, 07:24 PM,
(09-07-2013, 09:05 AM)GerryM Wrote: Maybe it takes them a while to sort themselves out? For example, if the division are in say 5 adjacent hexes, some at the back will not move. But it looks like the front guys are establishing a column. Then maybe in successive turns, they will all move in this column? I will keep trying.

remember, the road stacking limits are quite low, so probably your rearmost units cannot advance because of stacking limits. It is really best to sort them out into some sort of column first, then start moving them. Doesn't have to be perfect, but the sloppier the column you form, the sloppier the resulting movement.
09-08-2013, 08:33 AM,
And that is the problem - the rear units can't "fall in" for road movement as there is no room, so they will form up and move out as the crowding allows.
[Image: exercise.png]
09-08-2013, 09:35 AM,
I noticed now that once they are in a column that it works better.

Is there any way to have the destination being say 15 hexes away and that they would keep moving over a few turns to get there? It seems now you keep issuing the order every turn.

Thanks for the help.

Gerry
09-08-2013, 09:49 AM,
You can select a unit and then ctrl click on the destination and the units that the order applies to will keep moving there every turn until reaching it - moving when you end your turn unless you choose to run the AI orders before ending so you can see what happens. I don't recall the command for that, in the AI menu choice I would guess. But this movement can be quite chaotic and not what you may want to do, so use sparingly until you get a feel for how the orders are carried out if you try it.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-08-2013, 03:15 PM,
Thanks for the tip.

Gerry
09-08-2013, 05:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2013, 05:12 PM by Aaron.)
AI orders work great at the beginning of the game when there all is nice rows and everything but as every turn goes by cohesion gets worse and worse intill lets say turn 20 everythings a wash accept new units coming up.

Issue one order for which units you want and give them a destination and then your gonna have to guesstimate what turn they will get there so you can issue a second order for them to head to another destination using what turn you think they will get to the first and so on and so on.

Like i said as time goes on and one unit runs off into the woods while the other 4 make the first destination and they start bumping into bad guys the whole AI starts to fall apart intill its a complete mess. Ive learned just to add depending on the game a generalized order after i know everything will be a mess for a whole division to head towards a destination and give them at least some kind of direction.

So you might want to issue Bn orders from turn 1 but by turn 10 u should switch to rgt orders and divisional by turn 20.

VP hexs do help, the AI does like to chase after them if hes close, but again you cant have to many or he will run after them all.

Aaron

PS. shouldnt read stuff right outta bed, i see ur referring to the AI orders while playing but oh well, maybe the above will give you an idea. It all uses the same brain in the end, big issue is the stacking limit gets reached while the AI is moving down a road and theres no easy way around without driving off the road and thats when it happens, the next 2 units drive off into wonderland to smoke some weed 5 hexs off the road in the middle of the woods.
Rangers Lead the Way