• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Use of Air
12-18-2011, 09:37 AM,
Use of Air
I actually won at least one QB a little while back because of air power used. It's a "wild card" some don't like to have in a game. Without armor kills made by my air, though, it would have been too close to call, probably would have been a Draw instead of a Win.

That said, I'm playing several routine games now, w/o air, but I think it can always be a fun game factor. (In any Clear Weather game I usually buy flak/AA, just in case...and it's always useful against soft targets even when there's no air to defend against--haha.)

I'm editing a game from scratch just to use air power now. I have a map, and have tentative units--I just have to test it out a little to see how it works. But the idea is that each side will have a small convoy to try and get to their positions (in a QB ME frame--3 small flags simulating drop-off points) under threat of air attack.

Each side will have a few trucks, Kubelwagens or jeeps (CMBB, by the way), 3-4 varied air units (total of 8 strafes possible, total, per side), and 3-4 varied AA/flak units for defense. Large town at map center. Something like 15-20 turns, fixed.

Would there be any interest in playing such a game? Since air strikes cannot be controlled, I'm thinking any win might be agreed on beforehand as only a Minor or maybe Tactical Win, max.

Not sure what the total games points are yet, but this would be a chance to see some air support action, which I think doesn't get used all that often. ;)

Attached Files
.jpg   air_war.jpg (Size: 19.5 KB / Downloads: 8)
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2011, 07:41 PM,
RE: Use of Air
I will help you, send me a setup.
Be aware that the weather has to be good for air support!
Greets Owl
12-20-2011, 02:35 AM,
Thanks, Owl. I'll work something up later today.
12-20-2011, 08:04 AM,
Well, I'm lukewarm on how this battle turned out so far. It is a chance to see several aircraft doing their thing. Enjoyable to the extent it doesn't take long (15 turns--few convoy units to move around, and the air missions seem to be complete a turn or two earlier anyway). Against the AI, I won a tactical victory as the Germans, and a total loss as the Soviets (2 of their aircraft were shot down). So I added one flak unit to the USSR, added an additional Yak fighter-bomber with 3 strafes possible, and switched a German Henschel with 3 strafes for one with 4 strafes. Maybe this will make a better play balance--even though the Soviets now have about 1300 points to the German 600 points roughly. I figure the battle to be worth 1000 points...rounded up a little from the median between the two sides. I'd say, allow just a Minor Win to the side that wins, since so much play is really left up to the AI, and chance.

One more observation. The unarmed "convoy" vehicles are not able to control a flag, even sitting right on it. I managed to control one flag as the Germans, only because a Kubelwagen was knocked out, but the dismounted crew was able to gain control of the flag!--haha. So the convoy run to the flags isn't so much a part of things as just trying to keep them unharmed in scattered trees, or even between closeby wooded sections, etc. The battle is mostly about just surviving--with a chance to see some air versus flak action.

I can send out the game file to anyone who wants to take a look. And will send you one in a minute Owl--if you want to play it, let me know--we could even make it mirrored, playing both at the same time. Turns don't take long to complete! ;)

German: 4 flak units, 3 aircraft (total 9 strafes possible), 5 unarmed convoy vehicles
Soviet: 4 flak units, 5 aircraft (total 11 strafes possible), 5 unarmed convoy vehicles

12-20-2011, 08:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2011, 08:54 AM by Mad Baron.)
RE: Use of Air -- the current map
The current map attached......

Attached Files
.jpg   Air_Support_map.JPG (Size: 128.93 KB / Downloads: 7)
12-22-2011, 03:38 AM,
I like air, and I don't find it out of balance myself. I lost a game to air power (4 brens and 3 ATG destroyed) but it was my own fault, forgetting to buy AAA. When I bought air I did kill a marder, but on the second run had my a/c shot down. Not sure why some think it is too powerful unless you buy lots of sections.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha