• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MG44 Help
04-08-2011, 12:23 AM,
MG44 Help
Hi guys, im playing scenario 0917_14 and I`ve come up against something i don't follow but I`m probably being stupid.

Why do you have to set a unit to "Travel Mode" when crossing a bridge? Esp if its an infantry unit?

And similarly whats the difference between Travel Mode and Non Travel Mode when Non Travel Mode still moves the unit to a hex?

Took me ages to figure out why units weren`t going across the bridges!:rolleyes:

thanks
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2011, 12:34 AM,
RE: MG44 Help
Travel mode represents a unit forming up in a column formation, mounting vehicles if any, etc, so as to be able to move quickly down a road, rail line or even narrow path. Otherwise the unit is considered to be in a spread out combat formation, ready to fight. So to get across a narrow bridge, the unit must form travel mode.

Hope that explains the difference and why T mode is needed for a bridge.

And welcome to the games, any more questions or comments, post away.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-08-2011, 12:37 AM,
RickyB - Thank you so much! just spent about an hour pulling my hair out trying to get units over that b***** bridge. That makes perfect sense now. Really enjoying the games ive got so far - getting more soon off of my Uncle who thought i`d enjoy them.
04-08-2011, 12:44 AM,
Good to hear you are enjoying them, and learning the little challenges. It took me quite awhile to figure out building and then removing engineer bridges in my early days, that was my challenge.

Regarding T mode, remember it is needed for most any movement except tactical movement - so bridges, roads, engineers ferrying them across rivers! While deployed/non-T mode is needed for most tasks such as digging in, engineer tasks, etc, except ground units (except towed artillery) can fire in T mode but at half strength.

And there is more.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-08-2011, 12:50 AM,
Yeh I think this will take me many play throughs to even get an idea of the all the little tricks etc and this is a fairly small map - dreading to think what the big Eastern Front maps will be like. But thats exactly why i love the games :) Like Chess but far more interesting....
04-08-2011, 04:19 AM,
The Panzer Campaign titles bear reading the manual several times. Fortunately, they're relatively short and surprisingly easy to read for a wargame manual. But you will find that, after playing and playing, you will periodically come up with questions and -- usually -- the manual will have the answer.

As for the T-mode, think of it as representing the state that your formation is in whenever you order them to do something that puts them in a vulnerable position, i.e. crossing bridges, getting into assault boats, trudging down a dirt road in a marsh, etc. (Hope that helps.)
04-08-2011, 06:54 AM,
You will need to read the manual through a couple of times to avoid this kind of frustration, if you look in the movement section it states....
"Travel Mode represents units in a column formation, and for towed artillery, being limbered. Roads have no effect on units that are not in Travel Mode. While in Travel Mode, units are less combat effective and are more vulnerable to enemy units. Towed artillery units must be in Travel or Rail Mode in order to move. A unit in Travel Mode has a white bar at the bottom of its counter in 2D graphics mode and has the letter T following its Movement value in the Hex Info Area ."

...and most important for your question....
"A unit must be in Travel or Rail Mode in order to use a bridge. "

So a careful read through will answer 90% of situations you will come across. :)