• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Line Formation
09-10-2009, 05:30 AM,
Line Formation
Hi guys. Why is there not a restriction on what Battalions may form line? Mainly concerned with the Prussians but also the Austrian as well. I thought line formation was limited for these troops historically.

Caius
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2009, 09:50 PM,
RE: Line Formation
Prussian and Austrian units could and did use line formations historically.

The game includes many restrictions on the use of line formation: they move slower and will disorder crossing or entering all but clear and field terrain. Using the line movement disorder rule adds a chance (high for poor morale units) that they will disorder even in clear and field terrain when moving. Using extended line for large units is cumbersome.
09-12-2009, 11:08 PM,
There are other restrictions in place such are preventing some units from detaching skirmishers & only select units can form extended line. All infantry units can form line however.
09-13-2009, 06:11 AM,
Thanks guys for your reply. I have a board game on Waterloo battle that restrics line formation for certain Prussians, just was interested if this was true.

Caius
09-13-2009, 06:37 PM,
All units can use line formation, as Rahamy says are some limits for "special" units.

-Restricted units can detach skirmis, for example russian units in Russia Campaing can do it, you have jager units to do the job.

-Militia units cant form square and cant detach skirmis.

-Light units can detach skirmis, all you want (usually 4 but if you detach all after you can reform the btl, you need leave a litte remanent).

-Guard units are like light units but with morale bonus.

-Brit units dont have the 20% plus in melee using column formation as the other armies have but they have better musket and a powerfull line of fire.

Cavalry... well, are 3 main types, heavy (20% plus in charge), Lancers (20% plus in charge but -20% in defense) and cossacks... i think they have a special panic???

PD: Rahamy i hear something about a new nap game, is true or only a :pig:???