• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Confusing an apple for an orange.
08-05-2009, 05:40 AM,
Confusing an apple for an orange.
So I was watching TANK OVERHAUL on the History Channel last night. The guys at Aberdeen were doing a cosmetic make over to one of only two elephants left in the world.

So what the hell do the producers of the show do for time fill?, compare the elephant to the M109! Just because the 109 resembles the elephant it isn't! They were going on saying how the elephant only had an 88mm whereas the 109 has a 155, the elephant weighs 70tons and only goes 30km/hr while the 109 only weighs 27 tonnes (less then half they proudly pointed out) and goes 50km/hr (once again with pride). The cherry was that the elephant could only shoot about 3kms, while the 109 can shoot "into a different country".

So I figure the following for the HC:

1. their researchers are idiots
2. they wouldn't know a tank destroyer from a bicycle
3. they need to spend more time on the history of the weapon and less time trying to puff up the US Army's chest.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2009, 06:28 AM,
RE: Confusing an apple for an orange.
Good points Chris, I rant a lot when watching the HC shows, and my son hates it, thinks I am being critical. But when they do things like this it is really silly.

On the other hand, when I was in 8th or 9th grade, we "played" Panzerblitz at lunch, but without reading the rules, and the German SP artillery were the "strongest" units in the game, and we would fight over who got them, and then use them to kill the Soviet T34s, kind of like your summary of the show :). But we were just kids and had an excuse being ignorant students.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
08-05-2009, 06:52 AM,
Weasel,

I, too, know what you mean. Mention a Pacific War-themed History Channel program over at the Matrix War in the Pacific forum and just watch the loathing posts erupt.

They are definitely History-lite. Better than the average Hollywood movie, but nowhere close to even an average history book.

Mike
08-05-2009, 07:01 AM,
I've sworn off the basic HC programs. Hell most of it is about trucks and loggers now anyway. I find that HC-International has better programs, and the Military Channel (part of the Discovery Channel Group) does a better job still if military programs are what you're looking for.
08-05-2009, 12:39 PM,
I find that the Military Channel is hit or miss. I don't think they produce much of their own content, so it all depends on what show you're watching. HC produces a lot of their own content now, and they really probably shouldn't.
08-05-2009, 06:37 PM,
The HC has really gone downhill in the last 2 years or so. Especially the choice of footage they use, sometimes it is just absolutely wrong for the narrative. I notice it most when the show is about airplanes or tanks.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
08-11-2009, 06:17 AM,
I have noticed that too. I was watching one show on the invasion of France and they showed PzG riding a Panther; umm, about 4 years too early!!!! That bugs the hell out of me when they use the wrong footage. I also saw them show Russians in Berlin as US infantry too.

Why is it that what we can easily distinguish these guys are at a loss for?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha