• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Please Vote on OOB Language
05-22-2009, 07:12 AM,
RE: Please Vote on OOB Language
Alby Wrote:why dont they issue 2 sets of OObs like we did for SP Enhanced?
one in native languages,for those who like them, and one in English only for those who prefer.

Because the game already has 43 OB's?
Using mirror OB's for PBEM games can result in all sort of game havoc if the stats aren't 100% identical. If you think that's easy too achieve remember that the game gets updated frequently and the OB's in particular are continuously worked on. Creating a mirror OB doesn't double the workload concerning OB changes it triples it because now the two mirrors need to be doublechecked to ensure they're identical (and typo's will still be made and missed when checking).

But all that is only the secondary reason; primairy is the simple fact that it would mean a huge amount of work for very little return. All effort put into something as trivial as that won't go into worthwhile improvements of the game. So it's one or the other, not both.

Seeing that half the votes so far are for no change towards 'anglicising' the OB's and less than 50 people bothered to vote so far don't expect any changes.

Narwan
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2009, 09:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-22-2009, 09:53 AM by Alby.)
Narwan Wrote:
Alby Wrote:why dont they issue 2 sets of OObs like we did for SP Enhanced?
one in native languages,for those who like them, and one in English only for those who prefer.

Because the game already has 43 OB's?
Using mirror OB's for PBEM games can result in all sort of game havoc if the stats aren't 100% identical. If you think that's easy too achieve remember that the game gets updated frequently and the OB's in particular are continuously worked on. Creating a mirror OB doesn't double the workload concerning OB changes it triples it because now the two mirrors need to be doublechecked to ensure they're identical (and typo's will still be made and missed when checking).

But all that is only the secondary reason; primairy is the simple fact that it would mean a huge amount of work for very little return

Narwan
Dont take any of this the wrong way, I am not looking to attack anyone or anything remotely like that, as I was only making a suggestion but, I DO know the work involved, because I have already done it, twice.

Myself and 1 other guy intially did exactly as you state. now ONE guy is doing it, with help on some of the actual translations from players all over the world, and not just unit names, but weapons and formations as well. And on top of that, he is finding every spelling and syntax error in existance, giving me even more work :( :laughing:

What we did was, we finalized the intial 28 oobs that were to be released, then made copies of all them and used the 'copies' to make translations, so no data would be mismatched, we never had a data issue arise in the inital release, nor the next update that was released. The nations that use English were and are, of course, already set to go, so that cuts down on some of the workload.
The last update I did most of the work myself, so I did away with the second set, or 'translated' set of oobs, because of just what you mentioned, it was too much work!!!
But now alot of gamers have stated that they indeed liked and still preferred for a translated set of oobs, so it might give very little return "gamewise' but player appreciation and thanks is in my book, a nice return for hard work.

So now a very dedicated person I previously refered to, has taken up the challenge, to which I agree, is alot of work and more than I wanted to tackle this time around.

As stated, it was merely a not so serious suggestion, I realize 43 oobs is more than 28, but trust me I do know what kind of work it all entails, because as I said, I already did it twice.
:)
Send this user an email
05-23-2009, 02:16 AM,
I appreciate all the work you did and are still doing on 'the other' game Big Grin. Didn't mean to come off all defensive. It is indeed a matter of all the work involved. As you illustrated in your post, it is crucial that any work done on this is done by as few people as possible to minimise possible mistakes. For the CAMO games that means the same two people doing all the work (not just OB translations) on modifying both the WW2 and MBT game. Keeping up with current developments and projected acquisitions for the future for the MBT game alone is a big task (try and get reliable game data for such modern high tech stuff!). So time consuming efforts that show little in return, but do result in an increased workload from now on, are unlikely to happen.
The OB's have simply gotten too big to maintain each one twice.

On this, Don and Andy decided to give the players a say through a poll. So far the result favors the no-change so when it comes to player wishes...

Narwan
05-23-2009, 10:09 AM,
Im not a computer programmer but is it not possible to just have one OOB and enable to have more than one language option? Then no matter the language the stats change for all, no matter the language.
Bis peccare in bello no licet - One cannot blunder twice in war.
05-23-2009, 10:09 PM,
klanx171 Wrote:Im not a computer programmer but is it not possible to just have one OOB and enable to have more than one language option? Then no matter the language the stats change for all, no matter the language.

If you'd be starting from scratch it would be. The old DOS code that is the basis for the game is too complicated to add to (it's not impossible but it would be as complicated as writing a new game). Changes to the game will have to take into account the limits of the code structure. Language options are not part of it.

Narwan