• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Op CM Playtesting Progress....
07-03-2007, 10:59 AM,
Op CM Playtesting Progress....
The German oppressor forces under commander Bootie have been thwarted in the first playtest battle for the Op CM system. After about 8 turns the attacking Germans didn't like the casualties they were taking and called the attack off.

When is the last time you stopped an attack just because you were taking heavy losses in a QB, battle or operation?

This is the historical gaming system that is being playtested to have an operational system in place for CM battles to be used to resolve operational campaigns.

The same idea as CMC but I do intend on this system being ready before my death. I wish I could say the same about CMC....

There have been some very interesting OOB matchups drawn into battle by Bootie and myself. If there is an interest we could do some short AAR's...very short since there are currently six battles taking place in the initial playtest of the system.

Battle Resolution Results:

1) German attacker retreat/ Soviet defensive victory

Good Hunting.

MR
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2007, 11:00 AM,
RE: Op CM Playtesting Progress....
Battle 1 AAR...

Germans attacking toward Soviet positions encountered minefields. Taking heavy losses were then hit with Soviet defensive artillery fire and decided to call off the attack.

Good Hunting.

MR
07-03-2007, 07:19 PM,
Whoa,

This looks exciting. Whilst I obviously am a big CM fan, I have always thought it was somehow incomplete. It is the perfect system for resolving tactical battles bought about by factors at the strategic/operational level. However there is no strategic level.

CMC would obviously solve this, but that project seems more and more like vapour ware. If you are working on a operational level system for CM, then that is great, any chance you could give us some insight in to how it works?
07-04-2007, 01:05 AM,
Is this to be like the Domination tourney where we fight over grid squares and advance and retreat based on the battles? I think Vulture did a tourney like that once that was quite interesting.

Germans calling off an attack. I admit to being sensitive to losses in CM games even though it is just a game. Seeing my tank commanders drilled in the head by snipers is particularly galling. Just can't get myself to play with gay abandon regarding losses.
07-04-2007, 12:18 PM,
herroberst Wrote:Is this to be like the Domination tourney where we fight over grid squares and advance and retreat based on the battles? I think Vulture did a tourney like that once that was quite interesting.

Germans calling off an attack. I admit to being sensitive to losses in CM games even though it is just a game. Seeing my tank commanders drilled in the head by snipers is particularly galling. Just can't get myself to play with gay abandon regarding losses.

This will resemble Domination in that it does have a map. It will stop all resemblance at that point.

Op CM will have overall commanders that decide where to fight. Those battles are then fought by lower commanders. There is no anybody and everybody pick a fight.

The operations will be set on historical operations. These can be set anywhere in WWII. North Africa with any of the many operations there, Normany, the Battle of the Bulge, Arnhem, Reichswald, Sicily, Crete, Kharkov, Stalingrad, battle for Moscow, the great encirclement battles, Northern or Southern shoulders at Kursk, Destruction of Army Group Center, Budapest, Debrecen...the list is endless. Whatever operational area interests the administrators.

All OOB's and maps are tracked. Everytime you fight in that battle location you will fight on the same map. Everytime a particular unit goes into combat the OOB will determine what it goes into combat with.

There will be a time schedule. The operations are setup to play in realtime.

That means that you have a 2x2km battle location that will be determined 30 actual in our lifetime days or 20 CM game turns whichever comes first. Of course a nationality can pull back as happened in this particular battle.
In the playtest we are currently involved with 30 actual time days equals an OP CM day. The clock moves on and how and when you finish your battles is important just like it is in real life.

We are currently working on an upper size limit to the battle so that the entire battle of Kursk doesn't happen in an 2x2km battle location.

Basic unit sizes are battalions. The fights are good sized but not unmanageable. All combat losses follow the unit through combat from the first to the last combat.

Good Hunting.

MR
07-05-2007, 04:45 AM,
MR, could you explain a little bit about how casualty replacements are handled? How about troop quality?

As for the AAR, ending a battle after 8 turns because of concern for casualties certainly sounds realistic, but not very high on the
playability, fun-factor scale. Would the winning player be awarded a Total Victory as a result?

Notwithstanding my peeing on the Post Toasties, your efforts certainly look to be more credible than anything Battle Front may, or may not, be doing. :thumbs_up: