• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

TS GB vs. HPS Gettysburg
01-29-2007, 03:01 PM,
Smile  TS GB vs. HPS Gettysburg
I always felt that TS Gettysburg couldn't be improved upon. Is there any need to update to the HPS version? Thanx von Egan
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2007, 10:27 PM,
RE: TS GB vs. HPS Gettysburg
With the TS version you are stuck with the set piece battle. With the HPS version you can fight all the historical battles plus you have the campaign you can fight where the battles will lead you who knows where and provides a lot of variation. Also the HPS maps are much bigger and allow for much more maneuver room. You also get the benefit of playing where your units will fire defensively during you opponents turn so no more marching across open ground in plain view of batteries of artillery without a shot being fired and then ducking into a hidden hex at the end and escaping scott free. I would heartily recommend getting the HPS version.
01-30-2007, 03:52 PM,
keep in mind that Tiller's update to BGG includes defensive fire!
But I can see your point about the rest of it. However, for a straight Gettysburg game, with a first class map, BGG still works very well. von ege
01-30-2007, 10:08 PM,
Yes, Tiller's update included defensive fire during the defensive fire phase. However HPS can be played with no phases and the defense fires during the turn as you move and fire or vice versa. In the TS version you could march in plain view of enemy forces then duck out of sight at the end and not get fired upon. Might still happen in the HPS version or you might get shot at in every hex in view as you march also. Kind of fun to get a battery in position with a LOS on a road and then watching a whole column take fire as they march down it. :-) Everyone has their own tastes and if you're happy with the TS version then stick with it but nothing prevents you from having both on your computer. I personally think Gettysburg is the best of the HPS Civil War games so far and I think you'd enjoy it if you got it.
03-05-2007, 02:36 PM,
I am a big fan of the original TS games. As you, I think the maps are first rate. I have recently been convinced to try the HPS Gettysburg game (thank you Cela). I still think the original graphics are superior, but once I got used to the look of the HPS game I came to enjoy it very much. As pointed out, the defensive fire "in real time" is a nice touch, makes it much more realistic. The casualties are much more granular and so are the fatigue values. Casualties are not in groups of 25, they are from 1 to whatever. Fatigue, instead of being from 0 to 9 is from 0 to 1000. As pointed out the maps are larger (and this makes a difference) and there is a newness to the game because the scenarios are different and the campaign begins before the battle of Gettysburg. The actual battle may not even happen. The look and feel to the game are very much like the look and feel of the TS game so the learning curve is not huge. FWIW.

Regards,
Metbull