• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
assault bugs in 4.0? - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Panzer Battles (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=280)
+--- Thread: assault bugs in 4.0? (/showthread.php?tid=75246)

assault bugs in 4.0? - wololoh - 01-21-2022

Hi,

After the 4.0 updates I am playing around with Panzer Battles North Africa, and noticed it was quite easy to beat around the Italians. Two things noticed which I think are bugs (?):

It seems that to initiate an assault, a unit only needs to have enough movement points to enter the hex of the defender (it does not need to have 2/3 of its MA remaining, as stated in the manual). In the clear desert terrain for example, even a foot infantry unit can easily assault twice per turn. 

Another issue: if a unit does not have enough movement points to assault, it will still place the assault icon on the map and grant opportunity fire to the enemy. The assault will then have to be manually cancelled to remove the assault icon from the map.
(This also seems to happen in Panzer Campaigns and Modern Campaigns, and I did find another thread about this in the operational campaigns forum: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=75138. I did not check PzC and MC for the first bug I mentioned.)

Best regards

RE: assault bugs in 4.0? - Ricky B - 01-21-2022

The second issue is definitely known. For the first issue, first I had heard of that but it may be known. I did replicate it easily enough, I hadn't tried it before as it wasn't possible in the past. There is a support email for WDS that issues should be reported to, with save files, but I can check in with them and make sure they know/provide a file if needed. Thanks wololoh.

Rick

RE: assault bugs in 4.0? - Gris - 01-21-2022

I can't say whether it is a bug or not, but it could be a written rule. A clear hex cost 6 points to enter. So if you have 24 points and move one hex that leaves you 18. Which leave you in the green for movement points indicating 2/3 of movement left. If you move one more hex, that leave you 12, moving you into the yellow. In the yellow you still can assault, you are above the 1/3, below the 2/3 range. If you move one more hex, you cannot assault, because your in the red.
In this case you can move two hexes and assault. I have always played moving one hex, then being able to assault. I don't remember it being two. However, maybe I just never tried out of habit.

The rule may the problem. 

1. Do I have to have 2/3 mp (18 MP) remaining (if so, then it is a bug) "or" the cost to enter the hex "or" both etc etc

2. Do I have to have two times the MP to assault or 1/3 to 2/3. (then it is the rule).

This is key, it does state 2/3 to initiate. I verified also this is not true. I can assault at 12 mp of 24 mp (50%). Is this caused by the second bug you mentioned?

From the manual. user.pdf Pg 54

Assault Cost

Under the Manual Defensive Fire option, there is no movement cost required
to Assault. Otherwise, a unit must have at least 2/3 of its movement allowance
remaining to initiate an assault. The assault costs a unit the maximum of the
following two values:

2/3 of its movement allowance.

The movement cost to move into the defending hex.

I will echo what Ricky B stated and I would send this into WDS. They are working on the new PDF's I believe, and could implement a clarification to this. I know most players go by the green movement points to assault, so it is not clear.

Just my thoughts. I have been playing for so long, I didn't notice. If it is a bug, it is quite an exploit. Good catch.

Gris.

*Note - I checked PB Kursk and PB Normandy and can replicate the behavior in both of those games. It is working constituently in all three games whether intended or not.

Gris

It isn't intended Gris, and not how it worked before. It uses two thirds to assault, and you had to have at least two thirds to assault. So as reported you can assault twice, or move at least two thirds and assault. It has always been that you had to have at least two thirds for an assault.

(01-21-2022, 10:13 AM)Ricky B Wrote: It isn't intended Gris, and not how it worked before. It uses two thirds to assault, and you had to have at least two thirds to assault. So as reported you can assault twice, or move at least two thirds and assault. It has always been that you had to have at least two thirds for an assault.

Thanks, Ricky. Wasn't sure if I missed something while I was out.  Big Grin

RE: assault bugs in 4.0? - wololoh - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 08:59 AM)Ricky B Wrote: The second issue is definitely known. For the first issue, first I had heard of that but it may be known. I did replicate it easily enough, I hadn't tried it before as it wasn't possible in the past. There is a support email for WDS that issues should be reported to, with save files, but I can check in with them and make sure they know/provide a file if needed. Thanks wololoh.

Rick

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your reply and help.

Quote:There is a support email for WDS that issues should be reported to
For future reference, if I want to report a bug, which email address should we use for that? Is it the normal store support address? (I am not sure, since it is not related to a purchase issue or something like that)

wololoh

(01-21-2022, 07:02 PM)wololoh Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 08:59 AM)Ricky B Wrote: The second issue is definitely known. For the first issue, first I had heard of that but it may be known. I did replicate it easily enough, I hadn't tried it before as it wasn't possible in the past. There is a support email for WDS that issues should be reported to, with save files, but I can check in with them and make sure they know/provide a file if needed. Thanks wololoh.

Rick

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your reply and help.

Quote:There is a support email for WDS that issues should be reported to
For future reference, if I want to report a bug, which email address should we use for that? Is it the normal store support address? (I am not sure, since it is not related to a purchase issue or something like that)

wololoh

Their support email is [email protected].[font="Segoe UI Historic", "Segoe UI", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] I also had seen a message about a ticket system through a different email, I think it was, but I can't find that on their site or anywhere else I have looked. Thanks![/font]

RE: assault bugs in 4.0? - wololoh - 01-26-2022

Thank you for the information Ricky B!

RE: assault bugs in 4.0? - Strela - 01-26-2022

Hi all,

Just wanted to flag we are aware of this issue and working on a fix. We expect we will do a full patch release i.e. version 4.01 when ready.

Thanks,

David