• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Question on making CMBN look better - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Combat Mission x2 (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=221)
+--- Thread: Question on making CMBN look better (/showthread.php?tid=73787)

Pages: 1 2

Question on making CMBN look better - Weasel - 09-01-2020

Hi Folks;  Been a heck of a long time since I have played CMBN (5+ years) and over a year since I have been on the blitz.  So the other day I installed CMBN and even upgraded to v3 engine.  I went in and set all the graphics as high as they can go since I gave a good computer now, started the game and...well...was disappointed.  While the units look good the terrain is horrible, very low level especially when compared to the detail of the units.  I use to have to play on balanced so I thought it was my computer...nope.

So I went on FEWGOODMEN and looked around and see lots of terrain files, but not sure which is the one(s) to get to make the terrain look better so if anyone can spare a minute and provide some advice I would greatly appreciate.

And too all my old opponents and friends...how ya doing?

Cheers all;
Chris

***I just grabbed RM gridden terrain...yes/no?***

RE: Question on making CMBN look better - Weasel - 09-03-2020

Sad...never mind.

RE: Question on making CMBN look better - cargol - 09-03-2020

I ve been also away for quite some time, so it is good to see long time members to return. As far as mods are concerned, recently I ve installed Audgisil_WWII_Sounds mod.
It's compatible with all CMX2 titles. I highly recommend it.

RE: Question on making CMBN look better - Weasel - 09-04-2020

Thanks cargol for the reply. I guess everyone else is using stock graphics, so I have just been downloading various graphic sets and trying them out and still they are nothing to scream about.

I tried two different sound mods, not sure which ones, I will look for that one too.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, club isn't the same anymore is it.

RE: Question on making CMBN look better - A Canadian Cat - 09-04-2020

Yeah, I am generally just fine with the stock terrain. I have all of Aris's vehicle mods. Sound mods have never been my thing - all the ones I have tried I found to be too dramatic or with to wide a volume range.

Looking over my CMBN mods (turns out I have 5.2Gb) I do have some building and wall mods along with the vehicles which are the bulk of the mods I have.

Every body has different preferences. Have you tried movie mode? I am personally not a fan but many people like the more muted tones.

RE: Question on making CMBN look better - Westland - 09-07-2020

The graphics aren't even the problem,it's the many bugs.
For example that in multiplayer mode it happens again and again that you cannot finish games.
The specified time is exceeded and the game continues indefinitely. This problem has existed since 2011. No change for 9 years !!! Really annoying.
And why can't a 70 t tank push away a shot down jeep or truck?Then you no longer need to buy anti-tank barrier.
Example: An anti-tank barrier costs: 40 points plus 200 rarity points.
An truck costs:32 points plus 0 rarity points.
The truck has the same effect as an anti-tank barrier.
Since there are only anti-tank traps in packs of ten, that costs me 400 points and 2000 rarity points.
Trucks and jeeps as anti-tank barrier,not even in children's games.
So many patches came out,but they only changed unimportant things.
And even stupid things.For example since v 2.11 CMFI version the Stuart V Recce can no longer transport infantry.How so?
The vehicle was ideal for quickly deploying reconnaissance troops in difficult terrain.This has now been deleted with the last patch.

RE: Question on making CMBN look better - Weasel - 09-07-2020

(09-04-2020, 09:16 PM)A Canadian Cat Wrote: Yeah, I am generally just fine with the stock terrain. I have all of Aris's vehicle mods. Sound mods have never been my thing - all the ones I have tried I found to be too dramatic or with to wide a volume range.

Looking over my CMBN mods (turns out I have 5.2Gb) I do have some building and wall mods along with the vehicles which are the bulk of the mods I have.

Every body has different preferences. Have you tried movie mode? I am personally not a fan but many people like the more muted tones.

Thanks CC.  I figured with the game being pretty old now by game time, that something better would have come along.  I like the grid mod and found a road pack but other then that nothing really except for stuff like hit decals etc.

Never saw movie mode, will check, thanks.

RE: Question on making CMBN look better - Weasel - 09-07-2020

(09-07-2020, 03:13 AM)Westland Wrote: The graphics aren't even the problem,it's the many bugs.
For example that in multiplayer mode it happens again and again that you cannot finish games.
The specified time is exceeded and the game continues indefinitely. This problem has existed since 2011. No change for 9 years !!! Really annoying.
And why can't a 70 t tank push away a shot down jeep or truck?Then you no longer need to buy anti-tank barrier.
Since there are only anti-tank traps in packs of ten, that costs me 400 points and 2000 rarity points.
Trucks and jeeps as anti-tank barrier,not even in children's games.
So many patches came out,but they only changed unimportant things.
And even stupid things.For example since v 2.11 CMFI version the Stuart V Recce can no longer transport infantry.How so?
The vehicle was ideal for quickly deploying reconnaissance troops in difficult terrain.This has now been deleted with the last patch.

The bugs are why I stopped playing long ago, but I figured for a quick WW2 shoot up against the AI ok, but right off the bat I noticed how much trouble a tank had going through a wooden gate or over a bush.  I was actually thinking of buying a modern war version but first of all the prices scared me away ($$$$$$$!!) and then once I started playing I realized I would rather put some money into John Tiller's Wolfpack or Danube '86.  But for wasting an hour it will do.

Thanks for the reply.

RE: Question on making CMBN look better - raz_atoth - 09-07-2020

(09-07-2020, 03:13 AM)Westland Wrote: For example that in multiplayer mode it happens again and again that you cannot finish games.

That's actually a game mechanic, not a bug. Scenarios can have variable extra time, configured by the scenario designer. In effect, this means the game can exceed the allocated time by a random number of turns. I'm quite sure this was the case in Cmx1, too? I haven't seen the game continue indefinitely ever.

(09-07-2020, 03:13 AM)Westland Wrote: And why can't a 70 t tank push away a shot down jeep or truck?Then you no longer need to buy anti-tank barrier.

True, the game engine doesn't allow for vehicles to be pushed by other vehicle. In theory, i guess a gamey player could use this game limitation to place a truck/jeep on a bridge, for example, and have it blast to pieces by his opponent, thus rendering the bridge impassable. In practice, the truck driver usually panics when he sees the enemy tanks and backs away more often than not. I can't, of course, speak for all players out there, but i don't recall such a behavior being a problem for me not even once.

(09-07-2020, 03:13 AM)Westland Wrote: Since there are only anti-tank traps in packs of ten, that costs me 400 points and 2000 rarity points.

Hedgehog obstacles, just like any other fortifications can be purchased standalone, although it's a bit counterintuitive. You first buy the entire pack of 10 units, then you delete the ones you don't need.

(09-07-2020, 03:13 AM)Westland Wrote: And even stupid things.For example since v 2.11 CMFI version the Stuart V Recce can no longer transport infantry.How so?

You can bail out the crew of the Stuart Recce to do the recon. After the 2.11 patch it has a crew of 5, so more eyes on the target :) Or you can simply use a Priest Kangaroo. It's only marginally more expensive and can carry an entire squad

RE: Question on making CMBN look better - Westland - 09-07-2020

@ ratz_atoth

Yes, but not with Quick Battles.In CMx1 you could set static or variable.Not in CMx2.So if I set 30 minutes the game should end after 30 minutes.
In some cases, however, this is not the case. The minutes display at the bottom right then turns red and continues from 00:00 to 01: 00,02: 00,03: 00 etc.Endless.I once let it run for 300 minutes and then stopped.
I had the problem again recently with player kghammer.We saw the game as a draw.
And in 2011 I already had the problem with my first MP.It was supposed to run for 45 minutes and ran for 75 minutes, then we stopped.And always quick battles!

Exactly.You can use trucks and jeeps to block bridges or driveways in cities.And then let the crew get out and disappear.
This means that the abandoned vehicles remain standing as a block.
And cheaper than buying an anti-tank barrier.You save 200 rarity points.

Oh,I had overlooked that.But it doesn't change the price compared to truck / jeep anti-tank barrier.

The Priest Kangaroo is too expensive,too immobile and too slow.The Stuart V Ecce is better in all parameters.
You could always quickly transport Bazooka / PIAT, MG, sniper and reconnaissance units with it.Important in the field, because it is unbeatable fast.Wheeled vehicles are used on the road.