• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
The Eric Bonner "Boisforas" 2020 Tournament - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Campaign Series (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Forum: Tournaments Area (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+---- Thread: The Eric Bonner "Boisforas" 2020 Tournament (/showthread.php?tid=73080)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: The Eric Bonner "Boisforas" 2020 Tournament - Oberst - 02-21-2020

If both opponents have not played this scenario then it maybe a fair outcome, but against someone who has played it the Axis do not have a prayer. Especially if Axis reinforcements are delayed at all. The Axis player can either sit in their trenches and bunkers and be clobbered or run saving the troops. Either way Allies grab all the vp hexes. Just my opinion. It should be played as a mirror game.

Gil

RE: The Eric Bonner "Boisforas" 2020 Tournament - zap - 02-21-2020

Hmmm,  Thats interesting the opinions on this . My opponent went for the city on the right so I moved infantry from the center city to the one he focused on. It gave me time to get my tanks over to the battle. I must count myself as lucky then. I did knock out some leaders of his. So his disrupted could not move out of disrupt status. 

But now you have me thinking he may of held back.

RE: The Eric Bonner "Boisforas" 2020 Tournament - Herr Straße Laufer - 02-22-2020

I'm not sure I agree.
I have seen this scenario go either way.

John's luck was simply not there. And, the view from the other side may be different from his description?

And, I do not think I have a prayer to win this tournament. Helmet Smile

Farmer

HSL

RE: The Eric Bonner "Boisforas" 2020 Tournament - Nort - 02-22-2020

My game against Dan was pretty much over after turn three. With Op Fire settings on "long" to start the game, Dan's initial moves triggered Op Fire from my AT guns ... which were quickly eliminated. The German infantry's lack of any AT assets allowed Dan to simply roll up, disrupt, surround and capture all of my guys. By the time the German armor reinforcements started to arrive, the Russians had killed so many men and held so many VP hexes that mathematically it was very bleak for the Germans. Also, for some reason, the scenario designer makes the PzIV reinforcements with the good guns arrive late (mine never did arrive).

So once the armor I did have started to roll onto the scene, my tanks were fighting against equal numbers of superior Russian armor that was lying in wait, and the Russian armor still had infantry support, including Egnrs with AT capabilities.

I suppose it was simply luck of the draw and I am just glad to be playing this great game again.

Onward and upward,

Nort

RE: The Eric Bonner "Boisforas" 2020 Tournament - Big Ivan - 02-22-2020

Yeah Nort, your assessment of this scenario is spot on brother!! Thanks for posting what I was thinking!

Basically the same happened with me. Regardless, its over and I'm glad it is. Time to move on.  

Good luck to you in the tournament going forward Nort! Smile

RE: The Eric Bonner "Boisforas" 2020 Tournament - Ade670 - 02-23-2020

reporting  battle as a draw?

Kernel T (allied) Vs Ade670 (Axis)

total points: 240 (draw)

Think the scenario favours allies though as, per the above, my reinforcements appeared much later than scheduled.

I think knowing this favours allies if they have played many times before.

RE: The Eric Bonner "Boisforas" 2020 Tournament - Scud - 02-23-2020

(02-23-2020, 06:26 AM)Ade670 Wrote: reporting  battle as a draw?

Kernel T (allied) Vs Ade670 (Axis)

total points: 240 (draw)

Think the scenario favours allies though as, per the above, my reinforcements appeared much later than scheduled.

I think knowing this perhaps favours axis if they have played many times before.

The win for tournament purposes is Ade670 as the axis is closer to a minor victory than the allies. You still report the game, however, as a draw.

db

RE: The Eric Bonner "Boisforas" 2020 Tournament - Dan Caviness - 02-23-2020

I certainly did "bum's rush" Nort in our game.
I believe this one favors the Allies, assuming the Allied player plays it "russky style" which is always go to the whip early and hard.

This may be a scenario that could benefit from Extreme Assault.
With EA at least the old "surround-disrupt-assault" regimen has some uncertainty to it, and bad assaults are more likely.

Alternatively, it could also be made better by adding either more German Engineers, or a later war PzGdr version with some anti tank capability.

Still...I am not complaining...it was fun from my perspective.

Regards,

Russky Dan

RE: The Eric Bonner "Boisforas" 2020 Tournament - Hawk Kriegsman - 02-24-2020

I agree with those who state the Allies have an advantage.  

In fact they have a big advantage in this one.  The Germans AT capability gets wiped out in a couple of turns and then they are helpless.

It does benefit from EA. 

The ultimate thing that makes this scenario awful for tournament play is the variable German reinforcements.  In my current game every single reinforcement was delayed 2 to 4 turns.  In a 12 turn scenario that means I am f**ked.

I am most likely going to lose my match due to random reinforcements. 

It should be about the skill of the two players, not random luck. 

It just is not the same scenario that everyone is playing.  Germans arrive on time they have a chance.

Germans arrive late and they have no shot.

That is a most unfair way to lose a tournament scenario.

I agree with Oberst this scenario should be played mirrored.

Also just because the outcomes of a scenario seem to show balance it does not make it so.  You have to see who played who and you need to look at things like random reinforcements.

If I played every scenario in the database 10 times each as the Allies against Oberst and 10 times as the Allies against Tiger 88 the results would show that all scenarios are imbalanced in favor of the Axis.

That is not accurate.   The results are actual imbalanced because Tiger 88 and Oberst are better players than I am.

Now I was not expecting to win the tournament, but was not expecting to get bounced due things outside of my control either.

Rant over, enjoy the rest of your day.

RE: The Eric Bonner "Boisforas" 2020 Tournament - Scud - 02-24-2020

I chose the scenario based on number of turns, balance based on game reports, and number of games reported. I see now there's a lot of luck involved with axis reinforcements playing a large role. We all agreed not to play mirrors, so the double elimination has to be the only consolidation I can offer.

I suggest you all give me some suggestions for scenarios you think offer up better balance and I'll choose from one of those for future rounds?

Dave