• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka HTH - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tiller Operational Campaigns (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: TOC AAR/DAR Forum (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+---- Thread: 1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka HTH (/showthread.php?tid=71002)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka HTH - Plain Ian - 08-23-2017

EldarEldrad has challenged me to a game of Moscow 41. We are playing 1201_01a: Close call at Kubinka (HTH). I am playing the Russians and will try and do an AAR.

Scenario brief is below.

[Image: 2017-08-21_19h26_16.png]

The scenario pits elements of 4th German Army/4th Panzergruppe against part of the Soviet Western Front (5th/33rd Army) in December 1941.

[Image: 2017-08-21_19h13_50.png]      [Image: 2017-08-21_19h19_40.png]

The Germans field what looks to be an impressive force with 3 Infantry Divisions (7th/258th/292nd), the 3rd Motorised Division, and the 19th Panzer Division.

However the Infantry Battalions of the Infantry Divisons are at 80% (400 men) and the 7th Infantry Division has only 4 battalions deployed, the rest being off map to the west. The average fatigue in the 7th is about 30, the 292nd is around 50 whilst the 258th is well rested and has no fatigue. 

The 3rd Motorised Division has one Battalion off map (only 5 available) and its units also average 50 fatigue.

The 19th Panzer Division is a depleted unit with only 22 Pz 38’s runners in its two tank Battalions. It has only one Schtzen Rgt of two Battalions on the map. Its well rested with no fatigue.
The only other motorised units that the German have are 10 armoured cars belonging to the 3rd Motorised. These are wheeled vehicles.

The German command situation is slightly complicated in that the units are subordinated to 3 different Corps organisations  and two different Army/Panzergruppe commands. Not that it makes much game difference since  there is only one Corps HQ (XX Korps) physically on the map.

The Soviets field 2 Rifle Divisions (both 100%) and just over half of the new 1st Guards Division. (5 Battalions) They are well dug in. 

In the rear there are 3 of the newly raised 41 Tank Brigades which are each equipped with 30 BT7 and 30 T60 light tanks. Not impressive but more than a match for the German armour. Fortunately for the German player the tank Brigades are Fixed and will only be released gradually during the game.

The Soviets have certain extra Front level assets available in the form of Sapper Bns (x2), AT Rgts (x4).  I was slightly amused to see that one of the AT Rgts is armed not with the usual 45mm ATG but with 85 mm ATGs!!!  Really???? In 1941?

Soviet command is split with two subordinate Armies but again it makes no difference to the game as the Soviet player does not have any higher command units on the map.

The German player has a daunting task. Somehow he must exploit the weakly guarded join between 5th and 33rd Army and strike north to capture and hold Kubinka. If he is daring enough there is even an exit VP hex at the top of the map for him. There is also the lure of Naro-Fominsk which has a juicy 250 VP hex close to the start line. Unfortunately he will have take on a well entrenched Guard Division to win this one.

There will be no reinforcements for either side. The weather is Frozen so no digging in. 

Here is the map with the starting positions and the initial positions. 

[Image: 2017-08-19_21h02_54.png]

Turn 1 shortly.

RE: 1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka HTH - Plain Ian - 08-23-2017

German Turn 1

[Image: 2017-08-20_20h50_56.png]

Only two main attacks. 

The assault on Myakshovo begins when the Aufklarungs unit from 292nd approaches and begins a firefight. Its reinforced by two more Battalions. My defnders take 8 from the two units opposite and suffer relatively minor losses. However artillery descends and my losses start to rise. The 3/757th has yellow fatigue but amazingly did not disrupt.

At Tashirovo a probe by the 258th was roughly handled by my units. Units in open terrain are easy meat it seems. The AI returned fire 4 times and he lost an amazing 54 men. His artillery however manged to disrupt both my units.

3rd Motorised did not move? Resting?

RE: 1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka HTH - Plain Ian - 08-23-2017

Russian Turn 1

[Image: 2017-08-20_21h22_23.png]

I opted to use artillery (my super heavy 203 mm RVGK unit took out 18 men in two shots) and withdraw at Tashirovo before he brought up more troops. My aim was to pull troops back to defend the main road to Kubinka whilst they still could move and were in good order. I guess in hindsight I should have stuck around one more turn and dished out some more fire against his Battalion from the 258th?

The 2/774 th is doomed so I've left it where it is. Its disrupted and will probably be assaulted. I forgot to fire with it.

I've pulled two units of 787th Rgt over to Naro-Fominsk. The 3/787th recovered from Disruption. My aim is to relieve s few units of 1st Guards and send them north. At Naro I've pulled out the AT units. He doesn't have much armour and they will be better in the north acting as last ditch defenses. 

At Myakshovo the 3/757th sat in place. Again I didn't fire. Not sure whether it is worth firing? I didn't wanrt to risk Disrupting. (we are using delayed disruption) Eldar will have to pound them with artillery and hope to disrupt them if he wants to assult next turn. 

End of turn VP's. The Germans taking losses as they are attacking from open terrain at moment. 

[Image: 2017-08-20_21h20_07.png]

Thats all folks for tonight.

RE: 1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka HTH - ComradeP - 08-23-2017

Was the Crusader campaign you started an AAR for shelved for the moment?

This is a difficult scenario for the Germans, mostly due to units involved being too slow to prevent a Soviet withdrawal. If you withdraw 1 hex through the forest each turn and dig in a concentrated force around the objectives, there's not all that much the German player can do.

He can inflict casualties if you stand and fight, but with 1 hex movement and no assault chance, there's not much that can be done.

RE: 1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka HTH - Plain Ian - 08-24-2017

(08-23-2017, 03:39 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Was the Crusader campaign you started an AAR for shelved for the moment?

This is a difficult scenario for the Germans, mostly due to units involved being too slow to prevent a Soviet withdrawal. If you withdraw 1 hex through the forest each turn and dig in a concentrated force around the objectives, there's not all that much the German player can do.

He can inflict casualties if you stand and fight, but with 1 hex movement and no assault chance, there's not much that can be done.

Yes sorry I've had to abandon it. I realised that the scenario is a monster and would swallow up my time plus probably destroy numerous brain cells trying to play it. 

I also agree with you about 1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka. Eldar has just sent me turn 2 and he mentioned the fact that I have run away in certain parts of the line. I felt a bit bad about this and I will try to play a bit more Russian like and stand a die. As you point out there is no point playing a game which just frustrates players and takes away the fun of playing. With delayed reporting of disruption then I probably already have an advantage anyway.

Possibly the scenario should have the front line units Fixed as well as the rear area Tank Brigades?

I might change this opinion when I watch the turn replay.  Big Grin2

Turn 2 shortly.

By the way is the 85mm ATG unit historical?

RE: 1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka HTH - Plain Ian - 08-24-2017

German Turn 2

[Image: 2017-08-23_21h13_17.png]

The 3/757th is hit by artillery, assaulted and pushed out of Myakshovo. The Battalion has No Morale and is now ineffective. The assault cost the two German Battalions 17 men and we lost 33.
The 1/322nd came under severe pressure from 4 units and also lost heavily. German losses to return fire and artillery were not light. The 1/322nd is disrupted though.

Over on the 222nd Division front, the 2/774th was assulted as I expected and pushed back. Losses were not that heavy and the 2/774th has recovered from disruption. The assault cost the Germans 22 men and we lost 17. 
The German 258th has pushed up on a broad front and the 1/774th came under pressure and disrupted.

No attacks from the 3rd Motorised but he has pushed forward to the main road from Naro-Fominsk to Kubinka. He can either use 3rd Motorised to push up the road or try to flank Naro? Both are unlikely as road to Kubinka will be congested and he will now see I have two C Morale Battalions now sitting in an Urban hex. (1/787th and 2/787th are both C Morale) 

My moves? I will probably stay and shoot it out a turn. I won't have time to do my turn and post it tonight though.

VP's at end of German turn. 

[Image: 2017-08-23_21h52_53.png]

RE: 1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka HTH - Ricky B - 08-24-2017

Soviets had an 85mm AA gun starting in 1939. It had AT rounds similarly to the German 88s. Looking at the Moscow 41 85mm AT unit ratings, I would assume it is this gun, as the AA rating is high.

RE: 1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka HTH - Plain Ian - 08-25-2017

Russian Turn 2

[Image: 2017-08-24_21h07_51.png]

At Naro-Fominsk I continue to pull out my AT Rgts and send them north. The Guards Howitzers hit the 3rd Motorised and they suffer dreadful losses in the clear frozen terrain.

222nd Division holds in place and fires where possible. I pulled back the 3/787th to allow the 2/774th to pull back if he attempts to surround me with ZOC. As I feared the 2/774th disrupted with the return fire. It will be assaulted.
The 1/757th had outstanding fire results but its fatigue has crept up to 95. I moved 2/757 in behind as I did not want them being cut off when the 3/757th is crushed.

The RVGK heavy Howitzers had another good turn killing 22 men from the German 292nd Division.

The 32nd Division did the soft shoe shuffle to the right. I was lucky as no return fire was triggered. This allowed me to move 3/322nd in behind the disrupted 1/322nd. Again this is to allow an escape route north when its assaulted. The 3/322nd is Low Ammo.

I moved the 133rd Lt Art because I thought it might get trapped in this area. I thought about limbering up the 144th How Rgt as it will take 2 turns to move, but left it and fired instead. Maybe I have left it too late? 

And that was that. Hopefully I did not make too many cheasy retreating moves. I'm expecting Eldar to asssault and push back 3/757th and then push north as far as possible. In fact every Russian disrupted unit should be assaulted!  Wink

VP totals. Russian back in the lead but heavy casualties expected next turn.

[Image: 2017-08-24_21h27_44.png]

I'll do a high level shot in my next post.

RE: 1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka HTH - Plain Ian - 08-26-2017

High level shot of the game starting turn 3.

[Image: 2017-08-24_22h05_54.png]

Eldar has made a few gains and I expect him to open up the road to Sememychi this turn. Hopefully it will take him a few turns to storm the village. I'll worry about that in a turn or two. 

The 7th Division may appear this turn? 

I've just noticed that if he manages to advance up the main road toAkulovo he might be able to use the rail line which runs east to Satnikovo and get behind Naro-Fominsk? I may have to watch this.

Not making many plans. I'll just play the game reacting to his moves.

Oh I forgot to say what Options we are using. See below. 

[Image: 2017-08-25_19h35_33.png]

RE: 1201_01a Close Call at Kubinka HTH - Plain Ian - 08-26-2017

German and Russian hardware below.

[Image: 2017-08-25_16h16_00.png]
As I've mentioned the 17th Panzer is well below strength and he has only 22 tanks in 2 Bn's. (thats before any breakdowns during movement) The Russians have 180 tanks in 6 Bn's spread over the 3 Tank Brigades. 

However tank for tank the Pz 38 (Czech) is superior to the BT-5 and T-60. Interestingly the AC unit in the 3rd Motorised Div is no slouch and may be able to see off the BT-5?

The Germans will have to rely on artillery and the AT units in the Infantry Divs to kill Russian tanks. The 37mm 'door knocker' is superior to the 45mm unit and as good as the ....85mm? Mmmh still don't believe that this is an 85mm? same range and effectiveness as a 37mm? Ok I do see the high AA rating so who knows? The AA rating however is less than the 76mm dedicated AA unit though? Maybe its an early conversion or use of the 85mm AA gun? Picture doesn't look correct though? Looks like a 57mm or 76mm? 

The German Mixed AT unit is the anti tank unit for 3rd Motorised. Its not as effective as the Infantry anti tank units for some reason?

Eldar has sent the turn back. I'll show artillery and standard infantry when I get a chance later on.