• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Bulge 16.01s alt - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tiller Operational Campaigns (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: TOC AAR/DAR Forum (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+---- Thread: Bulge 16.01s alt (/showthread.php?tid=67856)

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 03-06-2016

Turn 75 Allied Losses and VP's

[Image: 2016-03-05_19h02_05.png]

End of Phase losses above. 

[Image: 2016-03-05_19h02_22.png]

I inflicted 700+ men losses on him and took 96. Counterbattery fire took out 11 guns and I managed 5 vehicles although most of them weer Flak.

[Image: 2016-03-05_19h02_55.png]

Losses shown by turn above. Things ended pretty evenly. However thats mainly because I went looking for easy targets rather than tackling immediate threats with my artillery.

Turn 75 Allied - north

[Image: 2016-03-05_14h54_29.png]

My artillery picked out his disrupted units falling back south as they were in Marsh. (+10%)

The 18th Rkt Bn managed 9 losses to his 326th Pioneers in TRENCH/Forest. This snap taken at end of turn so you can see the 326th disrupted. 

I managed a further disruption against a 277th Bn in the south.

Most of the fire fights went my way but there was stiff resistance for 1-16th and 1-23rd. Artillery and werfer fire were reasonably active.

I've 5 stacks for him to hit with artillery. If he doesn't recover from disruption then I should have a reasonable chance of an assault somewhere unless he gives ground.

Turn 75 Allied - Spa

[Image: 2016-03-05_19h54_27.png]

The battle of Spa has finished. I guess I get it back when he doesn't need it or can't hold it any more. I've pulled back and reinforced Tiege with one of my front line units. I'm not going to feed any more units in here. I think that Cesar has the hex he wants and won't make any more advances....I hope. 

I pulled back my M4 tanks as well. His panthers are here so no point in losing tanks against something they can't harm. Although to be fair my US M4 Bn's actually are factored to include the 76mm armed units which most tank units had by 44. In fact I think the US 7th Armoured were entirely manned with 76mm tanks? Correct me if I'm wrong?

I've brought the 2-32nd and 3-33rd up to help the 99th. Unfortunately it triggered fire which cost the 99th 4 men. 

The 2nd Armoured could reach Spa in two turns I think but I don't want to throw any more units in here.

Turn 75 Allied - Stoumont - Samree

[Image: 2016-03-05_20h39_54.png]

34th Tank Bde opted to try long range fire against his panthers. It went pretty well. They managed 2 fatigues but lost a tank. British HQ were happy with this and decided to have a brew up to celibrate.

The plucky US 4th Cav Gp keep up their war on the Pioneers. Men versus Greyhounds.

7th Armoured tanks pound his Pioneers and I occupy Chession...again. 

My artillery look for easy targets and the 116th Pz infantry are targeted. Thats what they get for not being in a TRENCH like every other german unit in this area. 

Suth of Bra he has an artillery unit which he couldn't pull back and is now disrupted. I take two guns from it with artillery. 

At manhay/Grandmenil I pull back my infantry. 

My artillery also picks out any units in Clear terrain.

The 814th TD unit in Odeigne (M36's) takes one shot at his Panthers then bugs out. I can't remember if it was a miss or a Fatigue, but that was enough and it headed for the hills. The 1-333rd and 2-334th were left to their fate. 

The 1-290th/289th Eng took a chance and fires at his Pioneers. The PzIV's stacked witht hem digging in did not fire back.

Lastly the 1-289th bumped into 9th SS digging in? 3 units one hex? He must be broken down? So I hit the top unit with as much artillery as I could and also fired. At then end of the turn I checked and I managed to disrupt the unit. It might recover but it will have significant fatigue so he may not be able to recombine? Will this disuade Cesar from using this tactic?

Turn 75 Allied - Nadrin - Bertogne

[Image: 2016-03-05_21h24_01.png]

The 1-325th moved east and met a 9th SS units [XX] digging in and an SPG. It fired and was surprised to destroy the Recon unit. (-15 men) leaving the SPG unit on its own.

I've pulled down the 1/Lt Inf as I need it in the south. 

At Bertogne I've pulled back. The bridge isn't a priority.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 03-07-2016

Turn 75 Allied - Flamierge - Magerotte

[Image: 2016-03-05_22h03_47.png]

The battle for Flamierge Woods continues. I see his tanks moving north which I assume is Fuhrer Begleit and I assume they are either going to relive his 26th/15th PzGr units or for a tactical attack. This forces my hand a bit and I move forward the 17pdrs of 71 A/T Rgt. (x24) and reveal the presence of the 53rd Division to him. He probably knows it is here anyway. His artillery will probably work them over though but it might keep his armour away a turn or two. I also move up the 1-506th and use a unit from the 150th Bde to hold Flamierge.

24 more 17pdrs arrive north west of Magerotte and unlimber but they are out of los. At Magerotte I've just realised that the 735th Tank Bn is sitting in T mode under the 2-327th!!! I was going to move it south but had to clear the road behind it....I then forgot to move it. Indragnir will spot it and hit it with everything. I guess I can kiss this Bn goodbye. 

Turn 75 Allied - Hollange - Warnach

[Image: 2016-03-06_13h39_54.png]

At Hollange I continue to back pedal. It takes me a while but I work out the best retreat paths for most of my units. I try to minimise stacking and ensure that units can retreat when assaulted. The 158th may be doomed though if he assaults and it falls back south. 
The 707th loses 2 tanks when the 2-501st abandons Chaumont and falls back onto it and triggers fire from his Panthers.

I've also moved up units (1-101st/52nd Arm Inf) in case he sorties his 2nd SS units north west of Hompre to add to the pressure. 

His artillery will have a field day as there are plenty of targets in clear terrain. Most of my inits are Disrupted so his assaults cannot fail. Its going to be a bloodbath but there is nothing I can do but fall back and wait on him deciding he's done enough. Its been like this most of the game......

At Warnach I pound his Pioneers and armour sitting in clear terrain. I hit a tank which I thought was a Nashorn but I've checked and its a Marder. Defense strength of 4. Its stats are about the same as an M18's? Not bad for a tank hunter based on a obsolete chassis. (Pz 38) 

Turn 75 Allied - Martelange - Redanges

[Image: 2016-03-06_13h59_36.png]

At martelange its a repeat of Hollange. I fall back and try to get set up for the next round. I'm not sure he will follow me to Maretelange, he might change direction to south west. 
Air recon shows a lot of activity on the Grevils road. Loos like a new VGD? I use air against the lead unit which is in clear terrain. 14 men for 1 plane. Not really worth it. Add this to two interceptions on my air recon efforts and its prety clear Allied airpower is woeful.

I've probably left the 5th Rangers a bit exposed. If he finds them he will pound them.

I used tanks to attack his Pz lehr units screening the woods. 

I've foud a few Engineer units which I will send to Mersch. Both can build bridges. Whether he will allow me to do this is a different matter.

4th Armoured has most of its units now north of the river and its now a case of deciding what to do with them. Push the FJD out of the woods seems to be the only thing left now. I was thinking of sending them north to try to cut the Grevils road but thats now not possible?

The disrupted unit he was using as an artillery spotter was finally hit and broken by my artillery. Broken units cannot spot I hope.

Turn 75 Allied - south

[Image: 2016-03-05_14h52_31.png]

5th Division fell back and will wait on the arrival of 9th Panzer. My Engineers are set tio start ferrying troops over the Alzette however I will need to move his units holding the river line as they are blocking supply from the west.

I use my second air to hit his units in the clear terrain and follow up with artillery (only 2 Bn's available) and ground fire from 735th tnk Bn and 2-10th. Return fire disrupts the 2-10th so no chance of an assault this turn.
The 10/11th Tnk Bn move up to pound the units left on the river line (TRNCH/Forest) but don't achieve much.

At Boevange I moved out the 10th Armoured Engineers (bridge builders) and will have to hope they can undisrupt and get to the river asap. I brought back the 10th Armoured Cav unit (90th) to garrison Boevange and have also left the 4th Infantry tank destroyers there as I have 3 Bn of 4th Infantry artillery available for support. 

Its a shoestring operation. I don't want to feed more into a dead end especially when the outcome is clearly looking like the 5th Division is doomed. I am hoping that air power will save things........I just need lots of it.   

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 03-17-2016

Turn 76 German - Results

Totals

[Image: 2016-03-16_19h30_29.png]

Phase Losses 

[Image: 2016-03-16_19h30_49.png]

It was a pretty quiet turn and my losses were relatively light. A rough breakdown of losses would be -

North/Elsenborn - 70 men
Spa - 95 men 3 M4's 1 ATG
Stoumont - 1 Firefly boo hoo
Chession - 90 men
Odeigne - 55 men
Bertogne 21 men and a 17pdr ATG
Magerotte - 132 men 9 M4's grrrrr
Hollange 57 men
Martelange -5 men 1 M10
Pratz - 43 men 1 Greyhound
Mersch 27 men 3 M4's

Thats a rough breakdown so possibly the losses in men doesn't quite tally. I've still to watch replay to see where his losses came from. 3 vehicles? Hopefully these are tanks. 

Losses for last few turns

[Image: 2016-03-16_19h31_28.png]