• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Bulge 16.01s alt - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tiller Operational Campaigns (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: TOC AAR/DAR Forum (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+---- Thread: Bulge 16.01s alt (/showthread.php?tid=67856)

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - ComradeP - 10-13-2015

Bunker probability is usually 1%. There's no modifier for the chance as far as I know unlike with digging in to trench/improved hexes, so it's pure chance. There's no limitation to a unit building a bunker in one turn, just like there's no guarantee it will ever build a bunker.

In your last screenshot, you're aware that German stack D for some weird reason includes valuable 5 defence Hummels and Wespes which don't benefit from fortifications?

Hard attack values are usually higher than soft attack values for tanks, but bunkers tend to give a defence bonus as well. Unlike improved/trench hexes, which just reduce the intensity of incoming fire, bunkers also increase the actual defence value on top of that.

It's the main reason why I feel bunkers can be overpowered: they're not the next step up from trenches, they're a whole new league of their own. Considering that building bunkers wasn't possible in the older games until the feature was ported back to them, I wonder how balanced the older campaigns are if someone starts to build bunkers. Even a German or Allied bunker line in the Bulge could already cause difficulties.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 10-14-2015

(10-13-2015, 09:26 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Bunkers don't help vehicle/tank units so there isn't any advantage of a Bunker hex when it comes to the 705th.

Yes well spotted. I realised this after I had switched off my PC. 

It was probably just wishful thinking that I could increase the defensive strength of my armour and make them a bit more resistant to German weapons. As I keep on moaning, even VGD units can knock out US armour fairly easily. However this is explained in the notes in the alt scenario. 

Well the 705th won't be going there to be shot up by his armour.

(10-13-2015, 09:46 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Bunker probability is usually 1%. There's no modifier for the chance as far as I know unlike with digging in to trench/improved hexes, so it's pure chance. There's no limitation to a unit building a bunker in one turn, just like there's no guarantee it will ever build a bunker.

In your last screenshot, you're aware that German stack D for some weird reason includes valuable 5 defence Hummels and Wespes which don't benefit from fortifications?

Hard attack values are usually higher than soft attack values for tanks, but bunkers tend to give a defence bonus as well. Unlike improved/trench hexes, which just reduce the intensity of incoming fire, bunkers also increase the actual defence value on top of that.

It's the main reason why I feel bunkers can be overpowered: they're not the next step up from trenches, they're a whole new league of their own. Considering that building bunkers wasn't possible in the older games until the feature was ported back to them, I wonder how balanced the older campaigns are if someone starts to build bunkers. Even a German or Allied bunker line in the Bulge could already cause difficulties.

If its a straight 1% then maybe my Engineers can give me the numbers for this weeks Lottery! 

Yes I spotted those SPG's. I thought they were placed forward because they were short ranged, but they have much the same range as standard artillery of the same calibre. I'll try not to read too much into their placement....I'm already paranoid. 

Intertesting information about 'hard' type units and Bunkers. The Hummels/Wespes will get the benifit of Forest but aould have got further benifits from TRENCH but can't now because its a Bunker. 

I haven't mentioned my Bunker to Cesar. I'll wait for him to see it. He's been playing a lot longer than me so may already know that he can build Bunkers? If he does do this then I think I will have a hard time gaining ground and yes the game might become unbalanced.

Turn 57 German - the north

[Image: 2015-10-13_17h19_52.png]

Some careful play from Cesar. It looks like he has bunched up his VGD units? With 1400 men stacking limits and the VGD units in some Divisions being 400ish then its possible that he's 'maxing' out his stacks. Slightly ominous as this makes them super assault groups. 

If I take away my paranoia then the alternative theory is that he is about to dig in. Looking at the pattern above that fits? 

Whichever strategy it is he is looking pretty neat and tidy now. 

Patrols in the south still show a 3rd FJD Bn and a Fusileer Bn which I assume is from the 12th. 

As for the turn the US 3-18th was hit by Werfers and came under fire from the 12th VGD units opposite. Lady luck smiled and my return fire Disrupted his second unit. (the other one started off Disrupted)

He must have heard my Tank Destroyers pulling out because just as they disappeared up the highway.....along came the big bad wolf. A unit of King Tigers. Not sure what size but does it matter? 2 shots and 2 M4's smoking. The 745th not pleased that they had the short straw. 

Would it have made any difference IF I had left 634th TD (35 M10's) and 703rd TD (36 M36's) where they were? Probably not. Clear terrain/TRENCH and both C morale units? I reckon he would have taken a shot at each and probably Disrupted one if not both, and killed 3+ TD's? In my turn I doubt if I could get 1?

Further north the rest of 12th VGD targeted the relatively fresh 1-26th and mainly artillery fire caused most of the losses for the 3-39th.

I do get the impression that artillery is lessening?

My turn? I guess I pull back to the Forest line and try to get out of all that Clear terrain if possible.

Turn 57 German - Spa

[Image: 2015-10-13_20h28_33.png]

Pretty steady turn from Cesar. 

His Spa group (D) fired at 1-117th inflicting heavy casualties. (Fatigue 106 Morale C - I forgot to label) 

His SS Peiper Pz IV's pulled back (E) after probably completing the TRENCH (job done!), and he moved up KG Peiper infantry to join the 3rd FJD Bn. (A) My 99th came under fire and Disrupted easily? However defensive fire and artillery cost him more than he inflicted. 

The group from Stoumont in the south slipped past [C] leaving the Panther Shermans behind. No damage caused by their fire. 

He has withdrawn his KG Hansen infantry which were split into 3 to speed up Digging. They will probably rest then combine? (B)

Only two groups not in TRENCHES and they are digging hard. 

If his 3rd FJD undisrupts (4 Bn's disrupted that I can see) and his 12th SS turns up here then I am in big trouble I think? The last Regiment of 9th Division has arrived and will be here in 4-5 turns. Lets hope he stays in his TRENCHES until then.

Oh I forgot to add something....counterbattery time! 8 artillery pieces lost. 3x M7's and 5 x 155mm (Long Toms?) The 155mm were in TRENCH and Forest but easily pounded. The M7's of 67th Armd FA Bn were in Clear. Not sure if terrain makes that much difference. Despite it rainiing shells no enemy artillery spotted! Ah well. No counterbattery for me this turn at Spa.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 10-15-2015

Game Turn 57 German Stoumont – Samree

[Image: 2015-10-14_19h57_26.png]

Its a busy map to look at and I had to stop adding units as it was becoming unreadable. However I wanted to show as much of the picture as possible. There really wasn’t a great deal of action but I’ll describe it, working from north to south

There was no sign of enemy movement from the Stoumont area. 3rd Armour units will continue their withdrawal.

The Sturmpanzer unit was withdrawn and a Pioneer unit moved in opposite the 740th Tank Bn.

The 8th Rifles was hit badly by Werfer and direct fire from the 18th VGD. It disrupted but has recovered. Some return fire was inflicted on the 18th VGD.

The Cannon/335th unit must have been spotted last turn. It was targeted and swiftly obliterated. Clear terain.......funnily enough I did think twice about using it last turn.

The 771st lost a tank from the 18th/560th VGD Group.

And lastly......yes the 2 Battalions of the 333rd plus the 2 recon units of the 2nd HCR have become isolated, plus two units are now Ammo/Fuel Low as well. I guess I have to shift his SS recon unit at Oedigne pretty quickly.

I also have to watch the Samree-Dochamps area now as well. The only artillery I have in the area is the 84th Divisions at Dochamps so I can’t bug out now even though I think I should. Its a bit of a Catch 22 situation.

I will have to move quickly as he must have strong forces south of Baraque. I’ll clear the Werbomont-Manhay road and see what I can rush down here. Luckily I started to move the 1-335th.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 10-15-2015

Turn 57 German - La Roche

[Image: 2015-10-14_22h30_04.png]

Quick map. At la Roche the 168th Eng Bn has built a road over to the north in one turn?

I now have the option of moving the 1-325th over and dismounting just over the bridge with the 551st to follow next turn or possibly the 1-505th which is currently Patrolling. Patrols seem to indicate that the Nadrin road is clear at the moment. 

I can also use units from the 106th if need be as well. 

Will have a look at this properly when I start my turn. Its a bit risky as I'm not sure what I'm up against yet.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 10-16-2015

Turn 57 Sibret – Sainlez

[Image: 2015-10-15_21h29_10.png]

Well its all completely changed. The Fuhrer Begleit defenders have been reinforced.

Patrols from the AB Engineers can see enemy digging in by Sibret with what looks to be 2nd SS StuG’s. (A/B) The FBB StuG [C] has withdrawn and the defense has been handed to a 2nd SS Pz Gr unit.

His FBB Pioneers unit continues to dig in.

The US 1-104th was heavily shelled and remains disrupted. The 3-104th received moderate casualties and disrupted but recovered.

Further south the 3-328th received heavy artillery and direct fire as expected and lost heavily. (The unit will have to be withdrawn to recover)

His southern line was reinforced by a 5th FJD Bn (F) and some SS Flak units. (G/H) I suspect that the 5th FJD was sitting in Hompre but he advanced it.

The 3-318th was attacked by adjacent units but gave a good account of itself. It managed to disrupt the 5th FJD.

And that concludes the action here.

At Sibret he has Forest/TRENCH (I expect the FBB Pioneers to complete their TRENCH) against my Forest (1-104th/735th) and Clear/IMPROVED (3-104th/818th TD). I guess I dig in with the 735th and trade D morale for A/B? Morale SS? I’m not sure its worth trying to dig in to TRENCH in Clear terrain so I may give the other hex up. Of course disrupting and assaulting his FBB might be an option?

His southern group at Hompre haven’t dug in.....yet.....but I again have Clear terrain in front of most of its length.

I kind of feel as if he’s trumped me and has the better positions. I am glad that the 501st is still at Magerotte.  The Clear terrain north of Sibret looks to be my best option.

Will finish last map of the south tomorrow night.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 10-17-2015

Turn 57 German – south

[Image: 2015-10-16_16h07_22.png]

The 4th Combat Engineers (fatigue 213), who I said I would withdraw a few turns ago hmmm ....were surprised to find Panthers in their midst. These were identified as Pz Lehr. At the end of the turn the 4th Combats patrols showed major activity on the Grevils-Bresil road. Heavy artillery (Corps?) also spotted. 
It looks like Cesar peeled off the Panther unit for flank protection, or possibly knew I was there. Its a safe bet to assume that other parts of Pz Lehr have reached the FBB A/T unit south of Bigonville?

As usual I’m out of place to defend in Clear terrain and nothing has been prepared. Run away run away....

The 2-22nd did indeed suffer as I predicted. Severe Werfer fire. (one blast of 30 and a second of 25) ensured that he didn’t even have to fire with adjacent 5th FJD units. (he brought up a second unit to support the first which was disrupted) The 5th FJD is a wonder utility unit as its stretched from Pratz to Hompre it seems.

The other news, well old news really, was that he used counterbattery fireto  decimate the 177th FA Bn. A XII Corps unit it lost 5 155mm pieces. I know that terrain aids defense but I really can’t see what difference it makes with artillery and counterbattery fire. I lost artillery in the north in Forest/TRENCH just as easily as the artillery here in Clear? Of course I don’t know what artillery types he was using but the results were not much different? Hey ho I’ll probably move the 177th anyway.

My moves? Not sure yet. Not happy with Pz Lehr moves BUT happy that they are on the Grevil-Brevit axis and not further south. Time to reorganise 80th Div and put them on a proper defensive posture?

I’ll post a big map of the south so everyone can have a look.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 10-17-2015

The south

[Image: 2015-10-16_18h49_49.png]

Just a quick map with a little detail on it so you can see what I am working with. In the Noerdange-Tutange Redoubt I have the 4th/10th Armoured and 4th Infantry. The 4th Infantry and 10th armoured are not 100% but I guess I need to start moving something north of the major rive Attert. 

I've brought down the rested elemts of CCB/9th AD and have strted moving  elements of 28th Div which have also recovered from the opening days.

The 6th cavalry Gp is due next turn.