• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Bulge 16.01s alt - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tiller Operational Campaigns (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: TOC AAR/DAR Forum (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+---- Thread: Bulge 16.01s alt (/showthread.php?tid=67856)

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 10-03-2015

Turn 55 Allied turn results

Final turns losses
[Image: 2015-10-02_21h41_37.png]

Quite a few tank battles this turn plus I used counterbattery to whittle down his artillery, hopefully Nebelwerfers.

Losses broken down by phase
[Image: 2015-10-02_21h46_06.png]

I lost 5 tanks in my pphase but it could have been worse

Victory Points
[Image: 2015-10-02_21h41_25.png]

So we are back where we were at the start of the turn. Despite Cesar/Indragnir saying that he will be attacking pretty soon. I think things have already swung back and he may be bluffing......

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 10-03-2015

Turn 55 Allied north

[Image: 2015-10-02_21h56_16.png]

I fell back again after using artillery against most of his VGD units. Artillery that didn't have a spotter was used on his spotted artillery unit. Counterbattery results were quite good.

I didn't fall back with group A but used them to fire. I didn't use the TD unit. 

I expect him to continue to advance.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - ComradeP - 10-03-2015

Before I forget to ask again: What are the recovery percentages?

By the looks of it, your own artillery losses to counterbattery fire are only severe in areas where your artillery is in Nebelwerfer range. The Germans have limited numbers of good long range artillery units to cover a lengthy front with, but as it's still fairly on in the game, I'm guessing many of your reinforcements and thus a lot of your artillery hasn't arrived yet.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 10-04-2015

(10-03-2015, 10:19 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Before I forget to ask again: What are the recovery percentages?

By the looks of it, your own artillery losses to counterbattery fire are only severe in areas where your artillery is in Nebelwerfer range. The Germans have limited numbers of good long range artillery units to cover a lengthy front with, but as it's still fairly on in the game, I'm guessing many of your reinforcements and thus a lot of your artillery hasn't arrived yet.

The pdt file shows that Allied recovery rate is 2%. The Germans are half that at 1%. I'm guessing that a 1% difference makes a BIG difference in the PzC engine. I'm not a great reader of manuals but I will check.

I know that units can have individual recovery rates but I'm unsure how I go about finding this out.

Just noticed whilst looking at the pdt file that ONLY Allied units can stock pile? Allied stockpiling is 10% whilst German is 0%. Allied and German stockpile fire are both 150% though. I guess this covers the start of the game when Germans start off stockpiled. I didn't realise they couldn't gain stockpile during the game. I'd assumed by the severity of the artillery fire on occassions that this ws due to stockpile/150% effects.

Germans probably do have  a limited amount to cover the front I agree. Cesar has moaned about the fact that a lot of long range artillery has been left behind to pound non essential areas. eg 7th Army at in the south and probably 6th SS up north at Elsenborn. 

The other factor I guess is lack of targets. If you are faced with a situation of multiple attacks/threats or the opposite then you will spread out your artillery probably a bit more. I guess I'm not giving him enough targets. 

If you open up the artillery dialogue and because of command spotting restrictions the only targets are spotted artillery then you use the artillery against them. It happens to me a lot. Its a case of using the chance to fire because there is no penalty from doing so. Now if it increased my chances of being unavilable next turn greatly, then I might hesitate.

Reinforcements. Good question. One of the parts in PzC that needs improved. The scheduled screen is a pain to use and I think the Editor isn't much easier to read....but I could be wrong as I've not delved into the editor a lot. Therefore I haven't checked to see whats coming up.

I can tell you what I have on map and will do so later....

Hold on perhaps screenpresso can screen catch the reiforcement schedule? Hmm it can. I'll put this in a separate post below.

Allied Reinforcements for Bulge

[Image: 2015-10-03_17h13_11.png]

Sorry just a boring screen capture using screenpresso. The neat thing is that the software realises this is a scrolling menu and does the scrolling and capturing for you in one, so no multiple screen shots and joining.

Hard to see artillery reinforcements on it however.

Turn 22 Allied - south

[Image: 2015-10-03_15h57_11.png]

Well he made no attacks so I did the same. All I did was move any vulnerable artillery into covered terrain and dig in a bit more in the Boevange area. 

CCB/9AD is now in command range of 9th AD and will stop there. The rest of 9th AD is off map to west also recovering. 

1/2-319th edged up a hex further north. 

I attacked his 88mm FBB unit. I moved up infantry then brought up 702nd Tnk Bn. I got 3 guns but lost 9 men. 

Further north I borked an attack on Warnach. I moved a unit up so I could use the stockpild artillery of the Division but the artillery made hardly a dent and my infantry got cut up. Rested 3rd FJD unit in Village/TRENCH. If he doesn't bug out I can cut him off if need be. 

Its all gradual stuff, I see no reason to rush as he has to pull back?

Turn 55 Allied - Sibret

[Image: 2015-10-03_16h15_46.png]

He brought up some armour (Jagdpanzer IV's?) to support his FBB infantry. This allowed me to test the M10's of the 818th against them and secure 1 hit and 1 Fatigue in 3 shots. The 818th received 3 fatigues in return from his stack. 

The 735th Tnk targeted the infantry but also managed to hit a tank, but did lose one as well. 

My artillery targted the Pioneers but results were poor.

The D/735th TNK bumped into more FBB digging in and the 318th accidentally bumped into the enemy at Sainlez when I let the AI pick the route.....doh. No harm as no loss.

I've also tidied up the area and strarted arranging my forces in neat lines.......I think you get the picture.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - ComradeP - 10-04-2015

Quote:The pdt file shows that Allied recovery rate is 2%. The Germans are half that at 1%. I'm guessing that a 1% difference makes a BIG difference in the PzC engine. I'm not a great reader of manuals but I will check.

I know that units can have individual recovery rates but I'm unsure how I go about finding this out.

Units can have individual replacement rates, but not recovery rates as that is global. Recovery rates are modified by quality, so in a way each unit has its own recovery rate, but it can't be set like the replacement rate.

Recovery usually gives just a trickle of replacements unless the unit has received significant losses, as the strength gain is relative to the losses, which means it decreases over time. Replacement nominally gives a strength gain relative to the size of the unit but limits it through supply, so it is always the same as long as you're on or above 50 local supply value.

As an example: with the Allied recovery rate of 2%, a unit with a maximum of 500 men that is 200 men understrength will regain on average about 4 men for a while, then drop to 3 and 2 when it is 100 men understrength. The same unit would always regain 10 men on average with a 2% replacement rate, provided it is above 50 local supply and in command.

In intense combat, keeping your forces in shape through recovery is FAR more difficult than doing so through replacements in scenarios with halfway decent supply levels.

Turn 55 Allied Bastogne 

[Image: 2015-10-03_20h02_55.png]

Moving north this was the Bertogne/Bastogne area. All artillery fire. Artillery against his northern armour group (Panther/Hetzer) was a bit pointess but I had no other targets. I did score a hit on a StuG in his southern group with a heavy gun unit. (240mm Howitzer M1)  

I decided to dig rather than fire and also brought up more engineers to man the lines. 

I only have one armoured unit in the area and did think about moving this up to counter his armour. The 705th could actually reach and move into the wooded hex containing the 3-506th in one move.

Turn 55 Allied La Roche

[Image: 2015-10-03_20h20_05.png]

Just a map of La Roche. No activity. He does have an Engineer unit sitting off road? I guess this is to block me moving from La Roche? I probably should have moved the 1-505th one hex NE to stop him falling back se along the road.