• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Bulge 16.01s alt - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tiller Operational Campaigns (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: TOC AAR/DAR Forum (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+---- Thread: Bulge 16.01s alt (/showthread.php?tid=67856)

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Ricky B - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 05:57 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: Graphic Anomaly?

At start of turn KG Hansen was shown as  -

[Image: 2015-09-26_18h46_40.png]

I used some artillery and then noticed they looked like this -

[Image: 2015-09-26_18h46_10.png]

mmh I went and check the Fuhrere Bde units in the south and I see exactly the same thing? Anyone else noticed this graphic phenomenon?

I assume you are questioning the lack of Digging In on one unit, and that you are playing with delayed disruption reporting. One of the giveaways with delayed disruption reporting is that a unit that disrupts will not show right away, but it can't dig in so it loses that status and so you know immediately that the unit did disrupt.

Rick

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 09:16 AM)Ricky B Wrote:
(09-27-2015, 05:57 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: Graphic Anomaly?

At start of turn KG Hansen was shown as  -

[Image: 2015-09-26_18h46_40.png]

I used some artillery and then noticed they looked like this -

[Image: 2015-09-26_18h46_10.png]

mmh I went and check the Fuhrere Bde units in the south and I see exactly the same thing? Anyone else noticed this graphic phenomenon?

I assume you are questioning the lack of Digging In on one unit, and that you are playing with delayed disruption reporting. One of the giveaways with delayed disruption reporting is that a unit that disrupts will not show right away, but it can't dig in so it loses that status and so you know immediately that the unit did disrupt.

Rick

Ah I didn't realise that.

Turn 54 Allied - Webormont

[Image: 2015-09-26_21h15_28.png]

No change at Webormont. I counter batteried his Werfers and left the infantry untouched.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - ComradeP - 09-27-2015

Why do you view counterbattery fire as being gamey, or was there a certain reason why you felt it was gamey last turn? Counterbattery fire really helps to cut down on losses from artillery over time, particularly in scenarios with just recovery and no replacements where it takes forever for a unit to regain a gun.

Heavy artillery and rocket artillery tends to have lower defence values than light and medium artillery as well, possibly because they're bigger targets and are more easily identified due to either being more noisy or the projectiles leaving lots of smoke behind after being launched.

(09-27-2015, 09:07 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Why do you view counterbattery fire as being gamey, or was there a certain reason why you felt it was gamey last turn? Counterbattery fire really helps to cut down on losses from artillery over time, particularly in scenarios with just recovery and no replacements where it takes forever for a unit to regain a gun.

Heavy artillery and rocket artillery tends to have lower defence values than light and medium artillery as well, possibly because they're bigger targets and are more easily identified due to either being more noisy or the projectiles leaving lots of smoke behind after being launched.

I think I find it 'gamey' because of the way I used it. Pick one target and keep pounding and pounding it. Its not necessarily the fact that it was against artillery, it could be any unit. I generally dislike this when it happens to me but accept that this is part of the game. I generally try not to do it to my opponent........if possible.

It doesn't feel right to be able to do this. Is it historical? I really don't know. I suppose by 1944 the allies could do this easily enough. I'm sure someone can list examples. US defense at Mortain rings a bell?

The fact that you get instant reports back about how well you are doing by sneaking looks in the Victory Dialogue doesn't help.

Losing guns which are difficult to replace is ok I suppose. Automatc disruption would work just as well, also increasing the chance of being Unavailable would also work. 

Incidentally I'm still unclear to some of the artillery settings in the Bulge pdt? 

[Image: 2015-09-27_13h11_46.png]

I think I understand the Indirect parameters. This means that German artillery is 25% better than US?
I'm not sure what the Counterbattery parameters  means? Which is easier to spot when firing? US or German?

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 09-28-2015

Turn 54 Allied Spa

[Image: 2015-09-27_12h45_21.png]

Will get this out of the way and try and rush the rest. Map more or less has all the action listed. I've left his Spa force untouched and concentrated on flanks. (I doubt if I could cause much damage to him in Spa anyway)

1-119th pulled back and 1-33rd committed.
1-36th pulled out and also 1-117th moved to reinforce 1-120th. (lost 8 men mioving ZOC to ZOC)
I got nervous and moved the 3-334th up closer and it night disrupted.
I've decided to dig in as well with some units in the north. 

One move I forgot to highlight was the M5 tank unit of 3rd Armoured that I moved forward. (below the 99th) 

The KG Hansen group that he split into 3 (sw of 1-33rd and below 743rd Tnk Bn which I forgot to label) received artillery which disrupted the top unit. If you see the previous post by Rick which explains things.

I should add only the 2-32nd Tnk Bn fired (1-32nd rested) and its target was the KG Hansen unit [XX] digging in. The 99th also targeted the KG Hansen unit........yes a bit of a hypocrite sometimes.

Turn 54 Allied - Grandmenil

[Image: 2015-09-27_15h07_21.png]

Minor action here. I made way for 771st Tnk Bn moving units out of the way. (Yes its overkill sending 30+ M4's to deal with half a dozen armoured cars but I want to speed things up. The D/771st met enemy units and disrupted losing a tank. (fatigue jumped pretty badly but I haven't bothered checking what it was) 

At Baraque the AC/2nd HCR took out the 9th SS unit and advanced. The other HCR unit moved forward and I brought up the 2-333rd and deployed. I guess I could have ran it further out but that will do. I've not seen any 9th SS infantry yet and they must be out there somewhere?

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Ricky B - 09-28-2015

(09-27-2015, 11:50 PM)Plain Ian Wrote: [quote pid='404274' dateline='1443352043']

Incidentally I'm still unclear to some of the artillery settings in the Bulge pdt? 

[Image: 2015-09-27_13h11_46.png]

I think I understand the Indirect parameters. This means that German artillery is 25% better than US?
I'm not sure what the Counterbattery parameters  means? Which is easier to spot when firing? US or German?

From the users manual:
Counterbattery Spotting

When the Optional Rule for Counterbattery Fire is enabled, there is the chance
that when an unspotted artillery unit fires, it will become spotted. By default,
the probability of this occurring is:
Counterbattery Spotting Probability = Normalized Strength / Range To Enemy
Where Range To Enemy is the range of the artillery unit to the nearest enemy
unit and Normalized Strength is given by the equation:
Normalized Strength = Men-Equivalent Strength / Max Road Stacking Value
This probability applies up to ranges of 10 hexes. The Parameter Data Value
for Counterbattery is used per side to modify this default probability.

So I would take this to mean the Axis/Germans have a 50% higher than normal chance of counterbattery spotting than the Allied/US player.

Rick

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - ComradeP - 09-28-2015

The Indirect Fire Mod has a confusing name, and I'm not sure why it isn't called Opportunity Fire mod or Support Fire mod or something like that.

It modifies the effectiveness of your artillery fire during the opponent's turn, so it only applies to artillery firing in support of units that are being attacked during the enemy turn.

In this particular case, German artillery hits 125% harder during your turn than during the German turn.

Artillery parameters

So the Germans are better spotters and hit harder in return fire during US turns? 

This is kind of counterintuitive to what I would have expected in a Bulge game? US artillery was very effectve during the battle and I assumed the parameters supported this but thats not what I saw when I looked at the parameters? I just wanted to confirm I was reading them right.