• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Bulge 16.01s alt - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tiller Operational Campaigns (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: TOC AAR/DAR Forum (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+---- Thread: Bulge 16.01s alt (/showthread.php?tid=67856)

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 09-21-2015

(09-21-2015, 01:45 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Okay, you guys got me curious about this HQ in the marsh situation. Easy enough to set up a test and see. Sure enough, for any man type unit that is motorized, in a marsh, not ON FOOT, it does not get the benefit of a negative terrain modifier. As soon as it goes ON FOOT, it gets the benefit of the terrain modifier - and of course if it can't go on foot, it can't get this benefit.

on the other hand, in some of the games the marsh modifier is positive, I believe, and that means not going on foot is probably a benefit as I assume it prevents the positive modifier from being applied. Or maybe the code purposely applies the greater of values between ignoring the terrain mod and nothing, if not on foot. I am not going to bother testing, but you have the answer, and it surprises me.

Rick

Ahhh so that explains some of the results I have been getting in this area with Motorised units in Swamp/Marsh. 

Do T mode motorised units in swamps get the modified terrain benifit? They cannot deploy.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - ComradeP - 09-22-2015

T-mode units never benefit from terrain effects, so T-mode motorized units in Swamp/Marsh terrain quickly become a punching bag: no terrain benefit and 50% defensive strength due to being in T-mode.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - Plain Ian - 09-23-2015

Turn 53 Allied End Results

Losses for turn below. I didn't manage to equal his losses in men but made up for this in guns/tanks. 

[Image: 2015-09-22_18h25_26.png]

I've also included a breakdown of losses by phase as well. I somehow managed to lose 81 men in my own turn. It happens. 

[Image: 2015-09-22_18h28_27.png]

Lastly Victory Points status for end of turn 53. Basically I recovered most of the points he gained during his phase.

[Image: 2015-09-22_18h24_54.png]

Turn 53 Allied north

[Image: 2015-09-22_18h34_28.png]

Onlt two moves. 1-394th fell back. 2nd Combat Engineers feell back onto 3-18th whi are a fresh 0 fatigue unit. 

I used a little artillery on his 326th Pioneers in the north and a fair amount on the 12th VGD unit in the south. After the 2nd Combat Eng moved back I used the 745th as well on the 12th VGD unit.

I also used my heavy artillery against a spotted artillery unit out by Hofen and 3 guns were reported lost.

All in all I was happy with the results even though it didn't match his 180+ loss he inflicted on me. 

I expect next turn will be the same. he will advannce the Pioneers and probably use another 12th VGD unit in the south. 

Turn 53 Allied Chession - Werbomont

[Image: 2015-09-22_18h50_58.png]

Will skip Spa just now and jump to this area. Again I rested as much as possible including artillery units which are 50-80 range green fatigue.

I manage to get the 23rd Armoured Infantry over the river (all of 7th AD is now south of the river) and after it deployed I had a go at KG Knittel. Even though 23rd Armd was Disrupted and E morale (fat 178) it still managed to hit? Howver they di lose 5 men to return fire.

3rd RTR advanced and targeted the 116th infantry. I also used D/31 TNK to fill in gap in my lines and secure the road......I'm probably wrong in believing the Low Ammo/Fuel tests are related to Global Supply but what the hell. 

Apart from that nothing happened. One major mistake. I forgot to move back the 17th Tank Bn and 48th Arm Inf Bn. Doh. Could be fatal for 17th as he has two VGD PAK/75mm units deployed and itching. So how many tanks will I lose. 3 shots, 9-12 tanks?

Turn 53 Allied Grandmenil - Samree

[Image: 2015-09-22_18h51_27.png]

Continuing south. (will do Spa last) I didn't do that much against his 9th SS units. Its a bit of a pain having them there as they will probably effect supply to the 333rd units on the Samree - Baraque road plus also the 2nd HCR units.

Anyway I sidestepped the Recce/2HCR and brought up the AC/2HCR as it has a better hard attack value. Amazing result when it deployed and fired. 5 enemy armoured cars. As usual the AI allowed this to happen and there was no defensive fire.

I pulled the D/771  TNK (M5's) back to joinn the 3-335th which is resting. (fat 50). 

The 3-333rd north of Samree deplyed from T mode and lost 3 men to the 9th SS unit. It didn't disrupt but I didn't bother firing with it. (I forgot to mark this up on map)

No point in chasing him or trying to trap him. I'll let them move into contact or move away. I'm a bit concerned abouth the 333rd/2HCR if they fail supply but not much I can do.

Turn 53 Allied Bertogne - Bastogne

[Image: 2015-09-22_18h52_03.png]

Well a few battles fought here. 

XVIII Corps has quite a few artillery units available and I used them liberally. In fact both Airborne Divisions are quite well supplied with artillery. 

I used my heavy artillery (155mm - 8 inch) against his tanks. I maged to get 1 Pz IV and quite a few fatigue hits. His Hetzer? unit in T mode was bullet proof???? I thought my artillery would demolish it but it must have Chobham armour or something???? An amazing 5 fatigue hits. That would change however....

I advanced the 3-508th to secure the road and used some more artillery on his 26th VGD unit in the Clear. Hopefully he will fall back. 

The 3-506th was involved in a pretty bloody battle with 2nd Pz infantry whilst its sister Bn the 1-502nd did better against the Pioneers. Again artillery was also used to assist. The Assault Guns/StuG's weer left alone.

The 504th and 508th had a go at the 26th VGD assault gun and did well knocking out 2 of them. 2,300 paratropopers blazing away at 5 small tanks.........wow. 

I brought up the 2-325th Glider unit which was handily placed in reserve and also an Engineer unit. I don't think I need reserves now.

And that was that.

Turn 53 Allied Margerotte

[Image: 2015-09-22_18h52_46.png]

I targeted his FBB units with tank fire. Return fire killed 5 men of 2-501st which was fine since I could now pull them back onto the 1-501st. (stacking level 1397) I also used some artillery but not a lot.

The 26th Division infantry  has enterd the line now with the 1-104th. Its a bit of a log jam with the rest of the Division. Attacking along one road isn't going to work.

I'm not sure why he is digging in. I guess its to reduce casualties  

Turn 53 Allied south

[Image: 2015-09-22_18h53_20.png]

Quick map of the south. I didn't really have much artillery to hurt him. Just the 3 M7 Divisional Bn's and I think 2 Corps units. (155mm and 105mm) God knows how many Corps/Army units he has? Plus of course he used 2 Bn's from 2 different Divisions to get both of their organic artillery involved.

I've pulled back the 51st but I think he might repeat the tactic.

Turn 53 Allied Spa

[Image: Turn%2053%20Allied%20Spa.png]

This could be the pivotal battle? In his email to me tonight I asked him why he hasn't pulled back. His answer was he was going to hold on to it as he has reinforcements arriving. Mmmh. This might not be as easy as I thought.
I did think that he would pull back Peiper from Stoumont and possibly 12th SS might be sent here as well? 3rd Motorised must be here?

Anyway here is my turn. Not easy to follow. I rested quite a few units but let loose with some others. basically I hit both ends of his line plus used the 743rd Tnk Bn against his KG Hansen in the centre. 

2-517th tried to nullify his 88mm (4 guns) before I moved in 2-33rd Tnk Bn. I also brought in the AAA unit although its a bit fragile. I also used quite a bit of artillery on this group as they are sitting in the Clear. (also trying to dig in)

The 1-32nd/2-32nd attacked his 3rd FJD unit with the usual results. The 1-119th joined in. 

The B/643rd bugged out of Spa leaving the 1-120th behind to hold the east of the town. Its Fat 83 but Morale A. To its north the 1-117th (disrupted) and the 2-36th hold the village. Both are Morale C. Howver this hex is probably ripe for assault.

The only decent reserves I have are the 3-334th which is out of command and probably gotting to fail its supply test.

I've kind of pinned my hopes on him pulling back by threatening his flanks.....it isn't working.

Anyway his turns arrived. Will have a quick look at but won't be able to post anything tonight.

RE: Bulge 16.01s alt - ComradeP - 09-23-2015

That's a very nice result against the armoured cars. Your own armoured cars have a HA of 6 and his have a defense value of 5.