• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode? - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Campaign Series (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode? (/showthread.php?tid=64705)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode? - Otto von Blotto - 07-30-2013

I like others don't use it for much playing but do for planning it's easier to see the lay of the land in 3D I also like it for long range spotting and HQ ranges.

A 2D close up would be interesting and give a more board game counter feel but I think I would still play in 3D most of the time.

RE: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode? - Herr Straße Laufer - 07-30-2013

I switch back between 2D and 3D. If they were the only remaining graphics modes it would be fine by me.
I do not use extreme in either 2 or 3 D.

I'm also not caring much for close in 2D. Sounds like what Tiller did for OpC?
If I want counters I find a counter-like game.

Cheers6

HSL

RE: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode? - Kool Kat - 07-31-2013

Hey Robert: Smoke7

I rarely use the 3D Extreme Zoom-Out mode - primarily because the icons are too tiny for these "mature" eyes of mine! Look

I would not miss this mode... if the decision is to remove it from CS.

I play exclusively in "normal" 3D mode.

RE: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode? - berto - 07-31-2013

Having to support so many units over three levels of 3D -- each unit with six different facings no less -- it's a heavy, heavy burden. Just gauging whether players use 3D Extreme Zoom-Out -- seems so -- and how much effort we would save ourselves if we jettison it. At this point, jettisoning 3D Extreme Zoom-out? Seems not.

RE: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode? - Herr Straße Laufer - 07-31-2013

I would get rid of both extreme 2 d and 3 d.

HSL

RE: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode? - Crossroads - 07-31-2013

(07-31-2013, 09:26 PM)berto Wrote: Having to support so many units over three levels of 3D -- each unit with six different facings no less -- it's a heavy, heavy burden. Just gauging whether players use 3D Extreme Zoom-Out -- seems so -- and how much effort we would save ourselves if we jettison it. At this point, jettisoning 3D Extreme Zoom-out? Seems not.

Come to think of it, the units have only one bitmap file, with six facings, but without a different copy for each of the zoom levels. However, for terrain tiles, there needs to be a bitmap file for each one of them.

How does the engine scale the unit bitmap to each zoom level? And can it handle the terrain tiles the same way give a code change of some sort?

I mean, both are bitmaps. The other scales, the other doesn't. Can you get rid of the terrain tile zoom level bitmaps? That would be a bonus wouldn't it?

And if the unit bitmaps do scale, would they support other zoom levels as well: ie. a variable zoom? That would be great... Of course, I do not know anything about the engine, just speculating here...

RE: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode? - berto - 08-01-2013

(07-31-2013, 11:30 PM)Battle Kat Wrote:
(07-31-2013, 09:26 PM)berto Wrote: Having to support so many units over three levels of 3D -- each unit with six different facings no less -- it's a heavy, heavy burden. Just gauging whether players use 3D Extreme Zoom-Out -- seems so -- and how much effort we would save ourselves if we jettison it. At this point, jettisoning 3D Extreme Zoom-out? Seems not.

Come to think of it, the units have only one bitmap file, with six facings, but without a different copy for each of the zoom levels.

Yes, you are right. I don't know how I came to believe that. Brain fart?! Confused

RE: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode? - Crossroads - 08-01-2013

(08-01-2013, 04:20 AM)berto Wrote: Yes, you are right. I don't know how I came to believe that. Brain fart?! Confused

Well to make up for it there's several sets of bitmaps: early war, late war, desert camo, winter, loaded, ... Jester

But how come the terrain tiles require the three sets of files while the units do not... Confused

RE: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode? - Warhorse - 08-01-2013

Good question, Petri!!

RE: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode? - K K Rossokolski - 08-01-2013

I find the extreme 3D useful for map building...it gives a good idea of the "feel" of the map. Also for moving formations.
The 2D zoomout is useless.